Travel to United Kingdom

Checklist: Passport/ID-card applications children (under 18)

Please ensure that you bring all necessary documents specified below to your passport/ID-card appointment at the Embassy. The same documentation is required regardless of whether you have had a Swedish passport previously or not.

Please note that all documents must be original.

  1. Make sure that the child has a Swedish ID number. This is necessary to apply for a Swedish passport/National ID-card.
  2. The child must be accompanied to the Embassy by at least one parent/guardian. 
  3. Book an appointment*. Please find instructions here (only in Swedish). Please note that you cannot book an appointment by phone, mail or by coming to the Embassy. 
  4. Complete and print the form "Verification of Swedish Citizenship" for the child. Note that it is important that the application form has been completely filled out when you arrive at the Embassy. If there is something in the application form that you do not understand, please ask someone for help before coming to your booked appointment. 
    Download the form here
  5. Complete and print the "Guardian Certificate form". The form needs to be signed by both guardians and witnessed by two persons living in the UK. 
    Download the form here
  6. Check with Skatteverket (Swedish Tax Agency) that the child's personal information is correct. Passports and ID-cards will be issued in the name that is registered in the population register. Fill out and bring a printed and signed copy of the form "Ny adress/röstlängd för utvandrad" (only in Swedish). 
    Download the form here
  7. For a Swedish guardian who moved to the UK before 1998, you need to bring a "Letter of non-acquisition of British Citizenship". 
    More information about non-acquisition of British Citizenship here
    An alternative to a "Letter of non-acquisition of British Citizenship" is if you present a screenshot (via mobile/tablet/computer) to the passport officer at the Embassy, which shows that the guardian has acquired pre-settled or settled status via the EU Settlement Scheme. In that case, you must also bring a printed copy of the screenshot to your booked appointment.
  8. If the child has another citizenship than Swedish citizenship, we need to see proof of that. The passport authority may also want to see proof that the child has not become a citizen in a country where the child has previously lived.
  9. The guardians must bring their own passport/valid photo ID. If only one guardian accompanies the child, they need to bring the absent guardian’s valid passport/photo ID too.
  10. If the child only has one guardian we need to see legally valid proof (for example, an extract from the Swedish population register/court order).
  11. A birth certificate containing the names of both parents/guardians – if the child has never lived in Sweden or was born outside of Sweden.
  12. Bring the child’s previous passport. If no longer valid you need to also bring a valid photo ID. Read more about valid photo ID on
  13. If the child's passport has been lost/stolen we need a police report. The lost/stolen passport will then be invalidated by the Embassy.
  14. Bring means of payment as the fee is paid as you submit the application.
    Find all fees here
  15. You can choose to pick up the passport/ID-card at another embassy/consulate if you notify the passport officer at the Embassy/authority where you submit your application. For example, you can apply for a passport in Sweden and have it sent to the Embassy in London, or apply at the Embassy in London and pick it up at one of the many consulates in the UK. If you wish to do so, you will pay an extra fee.
    Find all fees here
  16. A passport photo is taken at the Embassy, you do not need to bring a photo.

*The number of appointments that the Embassy can offer is limited. The fastest way to renew a Swedish passport is still to book an appointment in Sweden.

Last updated 22 May 2024, 2.13 PM