Travel to United Kingdom

Collection of passports/ id-cards

Regardless of where you apply for a Swedish passport/id-card you can choose to pick it up at the Embassy in London, or at one of the consulates around the UK, when it is ready.

You will get an automated message via e-mail/text once your passport/id-card is ready for collection. Bring your current passport/proof of identity and your receipt. If your current passport has expired, bring another form of valid photo identification. 

Passports/id-cards for children under 18 are to be picked up by a parent or guardian with valid identification. The child does not need to be present at the time of collection.

Collecting your passport at the Embassy

When you apply for a passport/id-card in Sweden or at another Swedish Embassy, you can request to pick up your docuement in the UK for a fee. You will need to notify the authority issuing the passport of this request during your passport application. If you contact the passport authority after you have made your application, this will result in a delay.

You do not need to book an appointment to collect your docuements, however, we do have specific visiting hours for collecting passports and ID- cards.

Collecting your passport at a consulate

If you apply for a passport/id-card in or at another Embassy but wish to collect it in the UK you must first, at the time of application, state the Embassy in London as the place of collection. Thereafter, you may e-mail the Embassy and inform what consulate you wish to collect it at. See our fees here. 

The consulates generally require that you book an appointment before coming to collect a passport/id-card. See contact details at the bottom of this page. 

Processing time

If your application is complete, the processing time is approximately 2-4 weeks. The production time varies. If a longer amount of time has passed and you have not received a message, please check your junk mail folder before contacting the Embassy. 

Pre-settled or Settled Status

If you have Pre-settled or Settled Status and change the form of identification to which your residence status is connected, you must notify the UK Home Office. Please contact British authorities for questions on residence status.


Last updated 22 May 2024, 2.13 PM