About abroad USA

Passports for Children

Children under 18 must be accompanied by at least one legal guardian and when applying for/renewing a passport/national ID-card at the Embassy of Sweden or at the Consulate General of Sweden in New York.

The child must already have a personal ID number or a coordination number to apply for a passport/national ID-card. You cannot schedule an appointment to apply for a passport until the child has been assigned a personal ID number or a coordination number.

Due to Covid-19 the Embassy is offering limited consular services, such as passport applications, by appointment only. The Consulate General opened for passport appointments on June 8.

Passport Appointments - Book Online
In order to apply for/renew a passport or national ID card at the Embassy in Washington DC or at the Consulate General in New York, you must schedule an appointment online. You book your appointment using the link below.

The following documentation must be presented:

  • The form "Verification of Swedish Citizenship" / "Prövning av svenskt medborgarskap" – downloaded, completed and printed prior to your appointment
  • Written consent of both legal guardians, on a separate authorization form "Guardian Certificate", which must signed before two different witnesses prior to the appointment. The form is valid for 1 month.
  • The old passport, valid or expired.  
  • If you never had a passport, a document from the Tax Agency stating your personal ID number/coordination number must be presented instead. 
  • Birth certificate in original for all children born outside of Sweden, clearly stating names of both parents.
  • Original documentation proving U.S. resident status (visa, ESTA or green card) or U.S. citizenship (U.S. birth certificate, Certificate of Citizenship or Consular Report of Birth Abroad), or certified copy of same:
    • U.S. birth certificate if born in the U.S.
    • Certificate of Citizenship if applicant became a U.S. citizen by application (naturalization), or naturalization certificate of parent(s) along with a birth certificate.
    • Consular Report of Birth Abroad, if born outside of the U.S. and acquired U.S. citizenship at birth through a U.S. citizen parent.
  • Marriage certificate if parents are married (or certified copy of same)
  • Passports or other valid photo ID with a clearly visible signature of both legal guardians (or certified copy of same). Swedish passport for Swedish parent is required.
  • Swedish parent must present original documentation proving U.S. resident status (visa, ESTA or green card) or U.S. citizenship (U.S. birth certificate, Certificate of Naturalization or Consular Report of Birth Abroad), or certified copy of same. NOTE: A US passport is not sufficient.
  • If legal custody has been granted to one parent or to another person, legal proof of guardianship must be submitted with the application.
  • If the applicant became a citizen of another country before July 1, 2001, documentation from the Swedish Migration Agency must be presented to attest to that Swedish citizenship has been regained.
  • Citizenship documentation (medborgarskapsbevis) stating the date Swedish citizenship was acquired. Only applicable for applicants who were not born Swedish citizens. You can email the Tax Agency servicejouren@skatteverket.se to find out the date of aquisition.
  • If you want to change names in the passport, an application for a change of name must first be approved by the Swedish Tax Agency.

> The fee for a passport is $165 and can be paid with Visa or Mastercard. Cash in exact change is also acceptable.

>The new passport is normally ready in about 2 weeks. (During the Christmas and New Year's holidays processing times may be longer).  The passport must be picked up in person by a legal guardian; it cannot be delivered by mail. The child does not need to be present. The old passport must be submitted.

>The new passport may be picked up at any Swedish consulate/embassy in the world, or at a police station in Sweden for an additional fee.

>For pickup of a new passport at a consular location other than the one at which the application was submitted, there is a shipping fee payable at time of application and an additional processing fee payable at time of pick-up.

>Do not bring passport photos. All applicants are digitally photographed on site.

Schedule Appointment
You can book an appointment about 2 months in advance. Be sure to state your phone number in the following format: +19175550000, no spaces or hyphens.

>Applications for coordination numbers may not be submitted during an appointment scheduled to apply for a passport.

>Did you download and print the forms "Verification of Swedish Citizenship" and "Guardian Certificate"? If not, do it now - both must be completed before you arrive to your appointment.

>Book appointment at the Embassy of Sweden in Washington DC
Appointments can currently be scheduled until March 26, 2021All available appointments are visible in the calendar; if you cannot see any available slots we are unfortunately fully booked.

>Book appointment at the Consulate General of Sweden in New York 
Currently appointments in New York can be scheduled until the March 31, 2021. All available appointments are visible in the calendar; if you cannot see any appointment slots we are unfortunately fully booked. We typically open appointments approx. 2 months in advance.  


If you choose to submit certified copies of required documentation instead of original documents make sure that the copy is be certified by a notary public as being a "True copy of the original document"  (you may not certify the document yourself) and carry the signature and official stamp of said notary public. We recommended that you bring all original documents when submitting an application.