Travel to USA

Information on Passports and National ID cards

In the U.S., you can apply for/renew a passport or a national ID card at the Embassy of Sweden in Washington DC, the Consulate General in New York or the Consulate General in San Francisco.

Please note that a verification of Swedish citizenship is conducted every time you apply for a passport. The instructions on this website apply regardless if you apply for a passport for the first time of if you are renewing an existing passport.

Book Well in Advance
We recommend that you apply for/renew a passport/national ID-card well in advance, before it expires or you need to travel. Many countries require 3 or 6 months validity of passports for entry. 

Sweden and the U.S. has an agreement that states that a Swedish passport need only to be valid for the duration of the trip when traveling to the U.S.

> Passports for adults

> Passports for children

> National ID card

> Pick up passport

> Emergency Passports

Applying while visiting Sweden
Swedish citizens can also apply for/renew a passport/national ID card while visiting Sweden. You apply at a police station, see link below. It is possible to request to pick up it up at an embassy or consulate for an additional fee. 

Information is available on the website of the Swedish police: