Travel to USA

Name and Coordination Number

To be able to apply for a passport for a child born abroad, your child must first have been assigned a coordination number. An embassy/consulate will request a coordination number based on the child's name application, which is submitted in person at an embassy/consulate. Processing time is typically about 8 weeks but may be as long as 12 weeks during peak season.

The application is free of charge and can be filed at the Embassy of Sweden in Washington D.C. and all Swedish consulates in the U.S. The child must be present when the application is filed, and must be accompanied by at least one legal guardian/parent. Processing time is typically about 6-8 weeks but may be as long as 12 weeks during peak season. You can request a coordination number through a consulate/embassy in the US when you plan to apply for a passport at the Embassy of Sweden in Washington DC, or at the Consulates General in New York or San Francisco. 

> Keep in mind that if you do not plan to apply for a Swedish passport for your child, you may not apply for a coordination number. You can then instead send a name application directly to the Tax Agency in Sweden, but you will not receive a coordination number through this application.

The following documents are required:

  • Name application form SKV 7750, signed by both legal guardians and by the applicant, if she or he is 12 or older. Please download and print. Sign it using a pen, no electronic signatures are accepted.
  • Form "Verification of Swedish Citizenship" must be printed, completed and signed by the Swedish citizen parent. Please note that it should be completed with information pertaining to the parent, not the child. 
  • Legal proof of guardianship, if legal custody has been granted to one parent or to another person.
  • Child's original birth certificate, clearly stating the names of both parents.
  • Complete adoption documents in original, including court decree and original birth certificate, if the child was adopted.
  • Swedish passport for Swedish citizen parent.
  • Valid photo ID with clearly visible signature for a foreign citizen parent, e.g. passport or driver's license. Please note that ID for both parents must be presented.
  • Documentation proving U.S. resident status (U.S. visa/ESTA or green card) or acquisition of U.S. citizenship (U.S. birth certificate/ U.S. Certificate of Naturalization/ U.S. Consular Report of Birth Abroad) for Swedish parent (a US passport is not sufficient):
    • U.S. birth certificate (in original) for any Swedish citizen parent who was born in the U.S.
    • Certificate of Naturalization (in original), if a Swedish citizen parent has become a U.S. citizen by application (naturalization).
    • Consular Report of Birth Abroad (in original), if a Swedish citizen parent, born outside of the U.S., acquired U.S. citizenship at birth through a U.S. citizen parent.
  • If the Swedish citizen parent is a citizen of a country other than the US, a certificate of citizenship for that country must be presented. 
  • Original marriage certificate, if parents are married.
  • Paternity Acknowledgment/Acknowledgment of Parentage, if parents were not married at child's birth.
  • Additional proof of birth in original, if the mother (regardless of citizenship) was registered as residing in Sweden (folkbokförd) when the child was born, e.g. hospital records, signed official letter from doctor/hospital attesting that the mother gave birth to the child. A birth certificate alone is not sufficient.
  • A notification form for Swedish citizenship must be submitted for any child born outside of Sweden prior to April 1, 2015, to an unmarried Swedish father and foreign citizen mother, who did not marry later on. Such a child did not automatically acquire Swedish citizenship. This form (available in Swedish only) can be submitted at the same time as an application for a coordination number. The fee is $16. Children born abroad after April 1, 2015, to an unmarried Swedish citizen father and foreign mother acquired Swedish citizenship at birth and there is no need to file the notification form.

Submitting documents in person
Please use the links below for more information regarding how to submit the required documents in order to obtain a coordination number at different locations in the U.S.:

>Submit your documents to the Embassy in Washington DC during regular opening hours. No appointment necessary.

>Submit your documents to the Consulate General in New York - by appointment only. 

> Submit your documents to the Consulate General in San Francisco - by appointment only.

To schedule an appointment at any other consulate in the U.S., please contact the consulate in question directly.

List of service fees. 

If you choose to submit certified copies of required documentation instead of original documents, please make sure the copy is certified by a notary public as being a "True copy of the original document" and carry the signature and official stamp of said notary public. You cannot yourself certify the copy. We recommended that you bring original documents  of all required documentation, including IDs.