About abroad USA

Passports for Adults

In order to apply for/renew a passport or national ID card at the Embassy in Washington DC or at the Consulate General in New York, you must first schedule an appointment online using the links below.

Applicants 18 years or older should bring the below documents when applying for/renewing a passport/national ID-card at the Embassy of Sweden or the Consulate General of Sweden in New York.

You cannot schedule an appointment to apply for a passport unless you already have a personal ID number/personnummer or coordination number.

Required Documents:

  • The form "Verification of Swedish Citizenship" / "Uppgift för prövning av svenskt medborgarskap" – download, complete and print prior to your appointment. All applicants must complete this, no exceptions. 
  • The old passport, valid or expired. If you never had a passport, a document from the Tax Agency stating your personal ID number/coordination number must be presented instead. 
  • Valid Swedish or American photo ID with clearly visible signature, if your passport has expired or is lost. This is the only additional requirement if your passport has expired. 
  • Original documentation proving U.S. resident status (visa, ESTA or green card) or how U.S. citizenship was acquired (U.S. birth certificate, Certificate of Naturalization or Consular Report of Birth Abroad), or certified copy of same. NOTE: A US passport is not sufficient.
  • If the applicant became a citizen of another country through application (naturalization) before July 1, 2001, documentation from the Swedish Migration Agency must be provided to attest to that the applicant has regained Swedish citizenship.
  • Document attesting to retention of Swedish citizenship after age 22 (applicable only to certain applicants born outside of Sweden who never resided there and have not visited on a regular basis.)
  • Citizenship documentation (medborgarskapsbevis) stating the date Swedish citizenship was acquired. Only applicable if applicant was not born a Swedish citizen but became a citizen through naturalization/notification. You can email the Tax Agency servicejouren@skatteverket.se and ask for the date of acquisition, or, if you would like a copy of the certificate, you can order it from the Migration Agency.
  • If you want to change your name in your passport, your application for a change of name must first have been approved by the Swedish Tax Agency.

> The fee for a passport ($163 as of July 1, 2022) can be paid with Visa or Mastercard. Cash in exact change is also acceptable.

> The new passport is normally ready in 3-4 weeks. The passport must be picked up in person; it cannot be delivered by mail. The old passport must be submitted when picking up the new passport.

> The new passport may be picked up at any consulate/embassy in the world, or at a police station in Sweden for an additional fee. At the moment, (September 2022), it might take up to 10-11 weeks before you can pick up your passport in Sweden.   

> For pickup of the new passport at a consulate/embassy other than the one at which the application was submitted, there is a shipping fee payable at time of application and an additional processing fee payable at time of pick-up.

> Do not bring passport photos. All applicants are digitally photographed on site at the time of application.

Schedule Appointment
Be sure to state your phone number in the following format: 0019175550000, no spaces or hyphens.

>Requests for coordination numbers may not be submitted during an appointment scheduled to apply for a passport.

>Did you download and print the form "Verification of Swedish Citizenship"? If not, do it as it must be completed before you arrive to your appointment. 

>Book appointment at the Embassy of Sweden in Washington DC
Please schedule your passport appointment through the above link, available appointments may be scheduled until December 31, 2022. Appointments for January 2023 will be available on November 1, 2022, at 12noon EST. If no appointments are visible in the above link, we are unfortunately fully booked and we kindly ask you to check back at a later date.

>Book appointment at the Consulate General of Sweden in New York
Please schedule your passport appointment through the above link. Available appointments may be scheduled until November 30 2022. Appointments for December 2022 will be available on October 3, 2022, at 12noon EST. If no appointments are visible in the above link, we are unfortunately fully booked and we kindly ask you to check back at a later date.

If you choose to submit certified copies of required documentation instead of original documents make sure that that the copy is certified by a notary public as being a "True copy of the original document" (you may not certify it yourself) and carries the signature and official stamp of said notary public. We strongly recommend that you instead bring documents in original when submitting an application.