Collect residence permit card

Please note that this information is only applicable to those looking to collect their residence permit card at the Consulate General in Shanghai. 

Once you've received a decision from the Swedish Migration Agency to grant you a residence permit and you have already submitted biometrics, the order for your residence permit card will be sent to the producer 6 weeks at the earliest before the first date of validity of the residence permit. And it can take up to 4 weeks to manufacture the card and have it sent to the Consulate in Shanghai. It is not possible to speed up the whole process. Therefore, please check the status of your residence permit card if you don’t receive any notification from the Migration Agency 2 weeks before the first date of validity of your permit.

If your residence permit application is granted less than 6 weeks before the first date of validity of the residence permit. You may expect your residence permit card to be arrived in 4 weeks.

You will be notified through email when your residence permit card has arrived at the Consulate General in Shanghai.

Your residence permit card can be collected either by yourself or by someone whom you’ve given a power of attorney to. Residence permit cards can be collected during Migration Section's office hours. You don’t need to book an appointment.

If you collect the card by yourself, you will need to bring your original passport.

If someone else collects the card on your behalf, he/she must bring a power of attorney, his/her ID card in original and/or passport, and a copy of the ID page in your passport. 

Children under 18 years

For children under the age of 18, one of the child’s legal guardians must either collect the card on the child’s behalf, or write a power of attorney to allow someone else to collect the child’s residence permit card on behalf of the legal guardian. The child’s legal guardian must sign the power of attorney. The following documents must be provided:

  • copies of both the child’s and the legal guardian’s passports
  • a copy of the child's birth certificate
  • an official document (copy or original) showing who the legal guardian of the minor is, if someone other than the minor's parent/s. 

Power of attorney

You can download a template for a power of attorney here.

Last updated 17 May 2023, 3.08 PM