• English

Sweden & Sudan

Required documents

To apply for any kind of visa, you must fulfil the basic requirements. You should also submit the supporting documents in order to be granted a visa.

Basic requirements for the Embassy to accept the application

Start by printing the checklist for a visa to Sweden which you can find on this link.

The checklist has to be attached to you application when you visit the Embassy.

Below you can find all information regarding what you need to submit in order to apply for a visa. Depending on your reason for visitng Sweden or Norway you can find additional information by following the links further down. Make sure you fulfil A to E.

A. Required Documents 

For the Embassy to be able to receive and process an application for a visa, Sweden or Norway must be the main destination for the journey. The journey must be planned to start within six months of submitting an application and the following documents must be presented:

  • Printed and signed web application form or a completed and signed application form no. 119031, Application for Schengen Visa. This must be completely filled out and signed. If the applicant is under the age of 18 years, the application must be signed by the custodian.
  • Valid passport or travel document. Your passport must:
    • be valid for at least three months after the planned exit from the territory of the Schengen States.
    • contain at least two empty page
    • have been issued within the last ten-year period.
  • One photograph in passport format, taken straight from the front and no older than six months.
  • Receipt confirming payment of application fee.
  • Also, the biometric data (fingerprints and photo) shall be collected by the Embassy. This will be done when you visit the Embassy to submit the application. 

If these requirements are not fulfilled when you come to the Embassy, your application will not be accepted and processed. In such case the documents will be handed back to you and the application fee will be refunded to you.

In order to be granted visa, you also need to submit supporting documents as stated below.

Supporting documents

A fundamental rule is that all documents must be submitted in original. There are a few documents that you only need to show in original at the Embassy and then submit a copy of the document. A basic condition is also that the document should be in Swedish or English or translated into these languages.

Please note! The documents that are submitted are only the starting point for the assessment of the application and do not mean that a visa will be issued merely because the application is complete.

The reason to ask for supporting documents is to provide evidence of the following:

  • (B) The purpose of the intended journey;
  • (C) Proof of accommodation and sufficient means of subsistence both for the duration of the intended stay and for the return to your country of origin or residence,
  • (D) Proof of having medical travel insurance,
  • (E) Information enabling an assessment of your intention to leave the territory of the Member States before the expiry of the visa applied for.

All visa applicants should submit the basic and supporting documents requested depending on the individual situation. 

B. The purpose of the intended journey

Documents to prove the purpose of the intended journey differes depending on the reason of your trip. Follow the links below for further information on what documents that are required for your type of visit. 

C. Proof of accommodation and sufficient means of subsistence both for the duration of the intended stay and for the return to your country of origin or residence

  • Reservation of accomodation, or
  • confirmation of accommodation and/or coverage of costs by the inviting/ sending entity or private individual, or
  • account statement from a bank in Sudan for the last three months, or
  • other proof of financial means available during the visit (international credit card, traveller’s cheques, etc.).

In general, Sweden requires you to have SEK 450 per day/person. The required amount may be less if for instance you have paid for board and lodging in advance or live with friends or relatives. The Embassy requires proof that you can support yourself, e.g. in the form of a statement of account from your bank or a wage specification for the past three months. If the person who is inviting you to Sweden, or any other person, will be paying for your support, you must show in the same way that he/she has enough money to do so.

D. Proof of having medical travel insurance

Most visa applicants are required to have medical travel insurance. It must cover any costs that may be incurred in connection with emergency medical aid, urgent hospital treatment or transport to the country of origin for medical reasons or in the event of death.

Read more about travel insurance under Medical travel insurance.

E. Information enabling an assessment of your intention to leave the territory of the Member States before the expiry of the visa applied for

  • Travel reservation:  flight tickets or flight reservations.

Evidence of socio-economic stability (enabling assessment of the applicant's intention to leave the territory of the Member States area before expiry of the requested visa):

  • All applicants:
    • Bank statements for the last three months and proof of ownership of property in Sudan, if applicable.
    • Civic registration 
    • Marriage certificate, if applicable.
    • Birth certificate of minor children, if applicable.
  • Officials: act of appointmentor or certificate of tenure and last pay slip;
  • Employees: certificate of employment or recent employment contract + payslips for the last three months.
  • Traders: proof of entry in the trade register (e.g. trade licence or declaration from official trade organisation).
  • Directors or shareholders of Sudanese companies: introduction letter signed by a legal representative of the company confirming the office or status of the applicant; proof of existence of the company in Sudan (e.g. notice published on the Official Journal); proof of appointment if not mentioned on the Official Journal;
  • Artists: proof of membership to one of the artist's official professional associations. 
  • Pensioners: proof of receipt of a retirement pension;
  • Students or minors: evidence of the parents’ social or employment status and, where applicable, school attendance certificate or student card;
  • Un-employed persons: proof of adequate socio-economic status (e.g.: marriage certificate, family record book, documents confirming ownership of a property).


The consent of the parental authority or legal guardian should be required only if the minor travels alone or only with one parent. Consent is not required if the single parent with whom the minor is to travel holds the parental authority alone. 

Documents to be submitted by persons of specific categories: 

  • Member of the Government, Parliament or a Constitutional body: Verbal Note, certificate of tenure or some other official document;
  • Staff of an embassy, consulate, UN Agency representation office or official body of a Member State: certificate of tenure from the relevant embassy, consulate or representation office;
  • Notary: appointing decree;
  • Members of a profession, organised by a professional body (doctors, surgeons, dentists, pharmacists, lawyers, architects, and members of their family): certificate from the professional body;
  • Judges: certificate of tenure from the Judiciary;
  • High-ranking officials: Verbal Note or certificate of tenure from the relevant body;
  • Academic (assistant, lecturer, senior lecturer, director, dean of faculty, rector): certificate of tenure from the higher education establishment;
  • Officers of the Sudanese army, Sudanese police or other military bodies: Verbal Note or certificate of tenure from the relevant Administration;
  • Journalists: Journalists' ID Card; certificate of employment from the publication or broadcaster;
  • Sportsmen/sportswomen: certificate of the official Sudanese sports organisation specifying date of enrolment and category (i.e. professional/amateur) and/or evidence of participation to national or international official competitions.

Back to apply for a visa