About abroad Kanada

Name registration and coordination number

Before applying for a passport the child must be registered in Sweden and issued a coordination number. The Embassy will request a coordination number for the child in connection with the name registration.

The application is free of charge and can be filed at the Embassy in Ottawa or at any of the Swedish Consulates in Canada (at an additional cost). When applying, the child must be accompanied by at least one legal guardian.

The following documents are required, original documents or notarized copies, at the time of application:

  • Name registration form (in Swedish) signed by both legal guardians and by the applicant, if she or he/she is 12 or older. If legal custody has been granted to one parent or to another person, legal proof of guardianship must be submitted with the application. Please read carefully the name rules and regulations on page 2 of the registration form.
  • Child's original birth certificate, clearly stating the names of both parents.
  • If the mother, regardless of citizenship, has a Swedish "personnummer" (personal registration number) a copy of the delivery journal from the hospital showing the mother's name, the date the child was born and the child's gender.
  • Passports (or other valid photo ID with clearly visible signatures) of both legal guardians.
  • Parent's marriage certificate, if only the father is a Swedish citizen and the child was born before April 1, 2015. A child born after April 1, 2015, automatically becomes a Swedish citizen if one of the parents is a Swedish citizen.

Swedish citizenship certificate for a child born before April 1, 2015, to a Swedish father who is not married to the foreign mother.

For the Swedish parent or legal guardian, one of the following documents:

  • Permanent Resident Card
  • eTA or valid visa
  • Canadian citizenship certificate (not the citizenship card) issued after July 2001.
  • Decision confirming retention of Swedish citizenship for persons over 22 years of age, born outside of Sweden to a Swedish parent.

If the legal guardian(s) gained Canadian citizenship before July 1, 2001, documentation from the Swedish Migration Board must be provided to certify that he and/or she has regained Swedish citizenship before the child's birth.

The processing time is approximately 1-2 months if the application is complete.

Please note that it is the applicant's responsibility to prove his/her Swedish citizenship and to acquire all the requested documents. Incomplete applications will not be processed.

For comprehensive information about Swedish citizenship from the Swedish Migration Agency, click here.