Passports for children under 18
All passport applicants must apply in person at the Embassy of Sweden in Ottawa. Note that passports for children under the age of 12 are valid for 3 years. Appointments must be booked in advance.
Applicants under the age of 18 must be accompanied by a legal guardian.
It normally takes 4-5 weeks for the passport to be ready. The passport can be picked up by a legal guardian at the Embassy in Ottawa or at one of our consulates in Canada (at an additional cost). The applicant can pick up the passport, if he or she is 15 or older and has been permitted by the legal guardian to do so at the time of application.
The following is required at the time of application. All documents must be originals.
- Completed form "Information for verification of Swedish citizenship".
- Previous passport, valid or expired. If lost, please provide police report.
- A valid ID-card, if the child has this, and the passport is expired or lost.
- Birth certificate, if the child has never lived in Sweden, showing both parents' names.
- Proof of Canadian status for children not born in Canada: eTA or visitor's stamp in passport, temporary permit,Permanent Residence Card (valid or expired) or Canadian Citizenship Certificate (not the citizenship card).
- Written consent of both parents or legal guardians on a separate consent form, Guardian's consent form. If legal custody has been granted to one parent or to another person, legal proof of guardianship must be submitted with the application.
- Passports or other valid photo ID, with a clearly visible signature, of both legal guardian.
The application fee is payable by debit card, credid card or in cash at the time of application.
Please note that it is the applicant's responsibility of prove his/her Swedish citizenship and to present all the requested documents.
To make an appointment, click here