Visit for longer than 90 days

The Consulate General of Sweden in Shanghai handles applications from residents in Shanghai, Anhui, Zhejiang, Jiangsu, Hong Kong and Macau for visits longer than 90 days.

If you are planning to visit Sweden temporarily but to stay longer than 90 days, you should apply for a visitor's permit.

An application for a visitor's permit is always sent to the Migration Agency in Sweden, where the decision is made. If the application is granted, a residence permit is usually issued for more than three months and up to twelve months. In order to be granted a residence permit to visit Sweden, the purpose of the trip must be to visit Sweden and not to settle there. You must have the means to support yourself throughout your stay, and you must possess either a return ticket or enough money to buy one. A medical travel insurance is compulsory.

Apply online

Applications for visitor's permits are handed in digitally. This applies only to persons that are outside Sweden and will make your application at the Consulate General of Sweden in Shanghai (applicants residing in Shanghai, Anhui, Zhejiang, Jiangsu, Hong Kong and Macau). Apply and pay the application fee by using this e-service.

When you conclude your application in the e-service, you will be directed to a page where you book an appointment for a physical visit at the Consulate General of Sweden in Shanghai. During this visit you will show your passport and conclude your application with an interview. You will also give your fingerprints and have your photo taken.

Applying for a national visa (D-visa) due to special circumstances

A national visa (D-visa) is only issued in exceptional cases. According to the law special circumstances must apply in your case. Note that a family visit is not considered special circumstances.

The decision is made at the Consulate General and you cannot appeal against the decision if it is refused. For inquiries about D-visas please contact the Consulate General on

Last updated 14 Feb 2024, 10.27 AM