Emergency passport

If your passport has been lost or stolen, you can apply for an emergency or ordinary passport at the Consulate General in Shanghai. An emergency passport in A4 format can usually be issued the same day, but is only valid for one-way travel home to Sweden (or another country of residence). Regardless of which passport you are applying for, you will need a new Chinese visa.

Follow the steps below to apply for an emergency passport and a new visa.

1. File a police report at the nearest police station

The police report will give you the receipt that you may need to show your insurance company. If you have lost or had only your passport stolen, you can skip this step.

Go to the police station closest to where you lost or had your belongings stolen and make a report. You will receive a receipt of registration.

2. Report the loss to the Exit-Entry Administration Bureau

Report your lost passport to the Exit-Entry Administration Bureau (EEB). Bring a receipt for the police report (if you have) and a copy of your lost passport and/or other identification. After 3 - 5 days (it may be faster) you will need to go back to EEB to collect the document "Confirmation  of Reporting the Loss of Passport". This document is valid as temporary identification in China and can be used for certain trips within China. You must apply for a new visa within 30 days of the document being issued. Failure to do so may result in fines and make it more difficult for you to leave China.

Exit-Entry Administration Bureau of Shanghai Public Security Bureau 1500 Minsheng Road  (near Yingchun Road), Pudong New Area
Address in Chinese: 上海市浦东新区民生路1500号上海市出入境管理局 Opening hours visit/phone hours: Monday - Saturday 09.00 - 17.00. Phone: 12367.

Above is the address of EEB in Shanghai. You report your passport as lost to the EEB (出入境管理局) of the city where you lost it.

3. Apply for an emergency passport at the Consulate General

Once you have received the document "Confirmation  of Reporting the Loss of Passport", you can apply for an emergency passport at the Consulate General.

You will need:

  • Personally visit the Consulate General
  • Fill in the same forms as when applying for an ordinary passport
  • Present the original "Confirmation of Reporting the Loss of Passport"
  • Present another Swedish ID document. If you cannot present another ID document, some approved people can confirm your identity on site.
  • Present a flight ticket (travel route is indicated on the emergency passport).

You pay the equivalent of SEK 1,800 in Chinese currency, by card or Alipay at the time of application.

An emergency passport can usually be issued on the same day. It’s encouraged that you contact us in advance to book an appointment, especially if you need to travel within China to get to the Consulate General. State your personal ID number at first contact.

4. Register your emergency passport at the hotel or police station

Once you have obtained the emergency passport, you must re-register your residential address according to Chinese rules for foreign nationals staying in China.

If you are staying in a hotel, please contact reception and present your emergency passport. They update your registration and give you a confirmation document.

If you live privately: go back to the police station where you originally registered. You will receive an updated document with the number of your emergency passport.

5. Apply for a new visa at the Exit-Entry Administration Bureau

With the emergency passport, you go back to EEB to obtain an exit visa. Without the visa, you cannot leave China. According to EEB, this takes at least three days, but it can be faster.

You will need:

  • The emergency passport
  • "Confirmation of Reporting the Loss of Passport" in original.
  • If you are staying in a hotel: the document you received from the hotel reception.
    If you live privately: the document you received when you re-registered with the police.
  • Copy of flight ticket or other proof of urgency (if you want to ask for expedited handling)
  • Fee 200 CNY (subject to change without the knowledge of the Consulate General)
  • A photograph. Can be taken at EEB for a fee.

If you have overstayed the validity of the visa (in the lost passport), the EEB can issue a fine.

Emergency passport valid for return journey

A provisional passport is valid for a specific journey and is only issued for travel home to Sweden (or another country of residence). You cannot obtain an emergency passport for urgent business travel or tourism to third countries.

If you are residing in China

If you reside in China or otherwise do not need a new passport immediately, you can apply for an ordinary passport instead of an emergency passport. It takes between two and three weeks before you can collect the new passport. After receiving your new passport, apply for a new visa or residence permit from EEB. Keep in mind that you must submit your application within 30 days of  receiving "Confirmation of Reporting the Loss of Passport".

Your old passport will be cancelled

At the time of application of an emergency passport, the Consulate General will cancel your lost passport in the passport system. This cannot be lifted by the Consulate General if you later find or recover your passport.

Last updated 03 Jul 2023, 10.15 AM