• English

Sweden & United Kingdom

Travel to Sweden

The rules for travelling to, moving to, working or studying in Sweden changed for British citizens on 1 January 2021.

Please note that it is the individual traveller’s responsibility to verify their right to enter Sweden and present sufficient documentation.

Travel to Sweden during COVID-19

For information about travel restrictions due to the COVID-19 pandemic, visit this page or the Swedish Police's website. 

Post-brexit: Travel to Sweden changed on 1 January 2021

From 1 January 2021, British citizens are able to travel to Sweden and other Schengen area countries for up to 90 days in any 180-day period without a visa for purposes such as tourism. This is a rolling 180-day period. You will find more information here.

Post-brexit: Travel documents from 1 January 2021

UK citizens and their family members will need a passport for entering and exiting Sweden. The travel document can not be older than 10 years and it needs to be valid for at least three months after the planned exit from the Schengen territory.

Exemptions will be made for UK citizens holding residence status or who can document that they have applied for residence status. These categories can enter using a national ID card or passport.

Family members of UK citizens who are third country nationals holding residence status, needs a passport and residence status or evidence of application for residence status.

Please see the Swedish Border Police website for more information via this link.

Tourist information

Plan your holiday on Sweden's official website for tourism and travel information via this link.

Visa to Sweden

A Schengen visa is required for persons of certain nationalities who wish to visit Sweden. More info via this link.

More information

The Public Health Agency of Sweden 
The Swedish Border Police