Visa to Sweden

If you want to visit Sweden and are a citizen of a country outside the EU, you may need a visa.

Are you a UK citizen travelling to Sweden? Please follow this link.

Find here a list of countries whose citizens need a visa for entry into Sweden.

All British travel documents need a Schengen Visa.
Note that Somali and Somaliland passports are not recognised by Sweden.

Apply for a Schengen visa

It is recommended to apply for a visa through our outsource company VFS Global, Swedish Visa Application Centre, read more and apply here.

It is possible to apply directly at the Swedish Embassy in London. However, the waiting time for visa appointments at the Embassy can be a couple of weeks or more.

To apply for a visa the applicant must reside in UK and have a valid passport and UK residence Permit. Exceptions can be made if an applicant with a UK C-visa wants to travel to Sweden due to exceptional circumstances, such as, serious illness or death of a family member in Sweden.

How to apply for a Schengen visa and residence permits for visiting, at the Embassy in London:

  1. Prepare the required documents, find available visas and their requirements at the Swedish Migration Agency's website.
  2. Book an appointment, request a date and time by sending an email to the Visa Section. The email must also include a copy of the applicant's passport and valid UK Residence Permit. Find the Visa Section's opening hours and email address here.
    Holders of diplomatic or service passports may submit an application without prior appointment.
  3. To avoid the risk of a visa refusal it is strongly recommended to produce all the required documents on the day of the application. The applicants may be required to answer additional questions. Each application must be done in person.
  4. The visa fee must be paid on the day of the application, read more about fees at the Swedish Migration Agency's website. All fees at the Embassy are paid in British pounds, preferably by card payment (American Express is not accepted).
  5. The processing time of a visa application is minimum 9 days but can take longer.

Following British passport holders do not need a visa:

  • British 'European Community' passport
  • British ' Isle of Man', 'Jersey' and 'Guernsey and its dependencies' passport
  • British Subject passport
  • British Overseas Territories citizen  (BOTC) passport
  • British National Overseas (BNO) passport
  • British Overseas Citizens (BOC) passport
  • British Protected Persons (BPP) passport

All British travel documents need a Schengen Visa.
Family members of British nationals must follow the nationals rules and require a visa. 

Family members of non British EEA nationals

According to the EU Directive 38/2004 (Art. 10) family members of non British EEA nationals who are in possession of a British "Residence Card of a family member of an EEA national" or "Permanent Residence Card" DO NOT need a visa for visits up to 90 days in the Schengen area if you are joining or travelling with the EU national.  See example of sticker.  

Family Members of UK Nationals:

Holders of Residence Permit either on the basis of being married to/partner/child/parent of a UK national  travelling withor joining the UK national you are dependant on: visa required (free of charge)
Documentation required:

  • Proof of family relationship with UK national: Original Marriage or Birth Certificate (if in language other than English, French, German or Spanish a certified translation into English is required) 
  • Cohabitating partners: proof of same address for a least 18-24 months      
  • Passport of UK national (photocopies not accepted)       
  • Pre-paid, non-refundable, return travel tickets as proof that you are travelling with UK national

Holders of a Residence Permit on the basis of being married to/partner/child/parent of a UK national travelling without the UK national you must apply for a normal tourist/visiting family & friends/business Schengen visa and pay a fee.

Last updated 20 Mar 2019, 3.00 PM