Sweden & Türkiye

Visit for longer than 90 days

If you are planning to stay longer than 90 days in a six-months period, you need to apply for a visitor's permit.

Visitor’s permit is a residence permit for visits. An application for a visitor's permit is always sent to the Migration Agency in Sweden, where the decision is made.

To be eligible for a visitor’s permit, you must

    • be able to support yourself during the time you will be in Sweden
    • have a valid passport (the passport must be valid for at least three months after the end date of the visit)
    • have a return ticket or money to buy a ticket. 

How to apply for a visitor’s permit

Applicants need to submit their application in person to the Consulate General in Istanbul. To be able to apply, you need to book an appointment.

It is important to submit all the required documents. Missing documents may cause rejection of the application.

1Application form, completely filled, signed and dated;

2. Family details form, completely filled, signed and dated;

3. Passport and copy of the pages that shows personal information and all pages in the passport that show entry and exit stamps and visas;

4. A copy of a valid residence permit in another Schengen country if you already have one;

5. Travel insurance. The insurance should cover costs of at least EUR 30,000 and be valid in all Schengen countries.

6. For visiting a relative, friend or partner;

    • An invitation from the person you will visit 
    •  A copy of the ID card of the person you are visiting 

Find more information and required documents about the other categories of visitor’s permits.

Learn about the process time of visitor’s permit applications.

Do not forget to check which nationalities that Consulate General in Istanbul handles. 

Applying for a National visa due to special circumstances

A national visa (D-visa) is only issued in exceptional cases. According to the law, special circumstances must apply in your case.

Note that a family visit is not considered special circumstances. The fact that you have previously been granted a D-visa does not automatically mean that you can get a new one.