Sweden & Türkiye

Applying for a residence permit to study in Sweden

Most people applying for a residence permit to study at a university or college in Sweden can use the online application on the Swedish Migration Agency website.

If you are applying online, are granted a residence permit and do not need a visa to enter Sweden, you do not have to visit the Consulate General. Regardless of how you apply, your residence permit must have been granted before you leave for Sweden.

Applying on online

1. Prepare your documentation Check which documents and personal data you need. The Swedish Migration Agency gives priority to applications that are completed in full, and you get a decision sooner.

Read more under ‘Required documents’ and on the Swedish Migration Agency website.

Instructions on the Swedish Migration Agency website

2. Applying Follow the Swedish Migration Agency's instructions. You attach documents electronically and pay the application fee using a VISA card or a MasterCard. Family members use the same online application if they apply at the same time as you.

The online application goes directly to the Swedish Migration Agency for processing and a decision.

Swedish Migration Agency web application

3. Waiting for a decision When the Swedish Migration Agency has reached its decision, you will be informed of this by email.

4. Acquiring a residence permit card If you are granted a permit for more than three months, you will be issued a residence permit card. Visit the Consulate General to be photographed and fingerprinted for the card. You can do so either while waiting for a decision or after you have been granted a residence permit. Please click the Consulate General in Istanbul for visiting hours. Bring the same passport with you as the one you used when applying for a residence permit.

It can take up to four weeks for the residence permit card to be prepared and delivered to the Consulate General. Please click the Consulate General in Istanbul for visiting hours. You must bring your passport with you.

If you do not require a visa to enter Sweden If you are granted a permit for more than three months and do not need a visa, you travel to Sweden and arrange for the card there. Contact the Swedish Migration Agency for photographing and fingerprinting.