Sweden & Turkey

Residence permit for studying in Sweden

If you will be studying in Sweden for more than three months and you are not an EU citizen, you need a residence permit.

If you will be studying for less than three months, you may need a visa instead.

List of countries whose citizens need a visa

The quickest and easiest way of applying for a residence permit to study at universities and colleges in Sweden is to apply online. Online applications go directly to the Swedish Migration Agecy and are given priority.

Online application on the Swedish Migration Agency website

If you cannot or do not want to apply online, or wish to study elsewhere than at university or college, you present the application documents at the Swedish Embassy/Consulate General in person instead.


As of 1st of September 2019 all the migration related matters that are currently handled by the Embassy in Ankara will be transferred to the Consulate General of Sweden in Istanbul. The purpose is to gather all expertise at one mission to create more efficient and specialized migration service for persons legally residing in Turkey and who are planning to visit or settle in Sweden.


Rules and required documents

To find out which rules apply, which documents are required and how you apply, look in the menu below.

If you are interested in studying at university/college/master's level in Sweden, you can find a full range of information on the Study in Sweden website.

Study in Sweden - in brief

Basic information about: Studying in Sweden

Read more