Sweden & Türkiye

Studying in Sweden - General information

To be able to get a residence permit as a student, you must be admitted to full time studies, able to support yourself and have a passport. Your residence permit should be granted before you go to Sweden.

Swedish universities offer degrees at the bachelor’s, master’s and doctoral level. Over 1000 master’s programmes and nearly 100 bachelor’s programmes are taught in English at 39 universities.

All the most important information on higher education in Sweden can be found on the Study in Sweden website.

Study in Sweden - in brief

Study in Sweden - factsheet

Study in Sweden - brochure

In general, to acquire a residence permit to study in Sweden you must have been admitted to a fulltime course of study, you must have the means to support yourself and you must have a passport. You must arrange for your residence permit before leaving for Sweden. The rules vary, depending on what kind of studies you wish to pursue.

For a description of the rules, check the website of the Swedish Migration Agency.

The university or college may require a fee for the studies, of which a part must be paid in advance. Contact the university or college concerned for further information.

Residence permit card 
If you are granted a residence permit, you will receive a residence permit card. The card proves that you have a residence permit. It can take up to four weeks for the residence permit card to be made and delivered to the Consulate. Once the card has arrived here, you should visit the Consulate during the visiting hours. Get information about our visiting hours. Do not forget to bring your passport.

Family members
A family member (e.g. husband/wife and unmarried children under 18) may be granted a residence permit for the same period as the student, on condition that they meet the requirements specified. Family members who are granted a residence permit also need residence permit cards.