• English

Sweden & Sudan

Visiting relatives and friends for longer than 90 days

If you are planning to visit Sweden for longer than 90 days you need to apply for a visitors' residence permit, or – if there are special reasons – a visa for a longer period (a D-visa, national visa).

General information

If you know that you will need to stay in Sweden for longer than 90 days, you should not apply for a Schengen visa but for a visitor´s residence permit. 

An application for a visitor’s residence permit is always sent to the Migration Agency in Sweden, where the decision is taken. If the application is granted, residence permits are usually issued for between three and twelve months.

In special cases, it might be possible to apply for a national visa, known as a D-visa. Such permits are decided in accordance with national Swedish rules. You can find more information under D-visa.

If you are to be granted a residence permit for a visit, the purpose of the trip must be to visit Sweden, not to settle there. You must have the means to support yourself throughout your stay, and you must possess either a return ticket or enough money for your return journey. Medical travel insurance is not compulsory, but it is advisable since medical costs can be high.

How to book an appointment for a visitors residence permit

In order to apply for a visitor’s permit, you should book an appointment prior to your compulsory visit and interview at the Embassy. To do that you can contact the Embassy by email at: ambassaden.khartoum-migration@gov.se, Make sure to include all your personal information and to describe your circumstances in the email in order for the Embassy to guide you in the best possible way.

After booking your appointment, you should visit the Embassy and fulfil the following requirements.

Requirements for visitor's permits

A basic requirement is that all documents should be submitted in original and written in Swedish or English. Documents written in other languages in general have to be translated into Swedish or English.

To get a permit you must

  • have received an invitation from the person you intend to visit
  • be able to provide for yourself for the duration of your stay in Sweden
  • have a passport that is valid for at least three months after the last date of your visit
  • have a return ticket or the money to buy one.

1. You must have an invitation

The person you are visiting in Sweden must fill out the form Invitation, number 241011, and send it to you. He or she must also enclose a copy of their passport, ID or similar document proving their identity. 

2. Fill out an application

Fill out the forms Application for a visitor's permit and Family details. In your application, you enter information about yourself and the person you intend to visit.

If you have children under the age of 18 who will come with you to Sweden, use the form Application for a visitor's permit for children under the age of 18, number 167011. Fill out a separate form for each child.

Along with these application forms, you must hand in the following:

  • the invitation form, personal registration certificate (personbevis), copy of the passport, ID or similar document for the person you intend to visit.
  • account statement or other document showing that you have sufficient funds for your time in Sweden.
  • copies of your passport or travel document.
  • civic registration, show the original and submit a copy and a translation to English or Swedish.
  • a return ticket or other document showing that you have sufficient funds to buy one.
  • Bank receipt showing that you have paid the application fee.

3. Submitting your application

You must hand in your application and all supporting documents at the Embassy.

If you have to pay a fee you should bring the receipt to the Embassy.

4. Interview

You will have to go through an interview in connection to submitting your application. During the interview, you will be asked to answer questions about your visit to Sweden. Children who are applying must also attend the interview.

If you are granted a residence permit you will be issued with a residence permit card. The card contains, among other things, your fingerprints and a photograph of you. The fingerprints and photograph will only be stored in the chip on the card.

If you need an entry visa to travel to Sweden, you will also need to have the residence permit card to enter Sweden. There for you will be photographed and fingerprinted in connection with the interview.

If you do not require an entry visa, you can travel to Sweden without a residence permit card and give the Swedish Migration Agency the necessary information for the residence permit card once you have arrived in Sweden.

5. The Migration Agency processes the application

After your interview, your application will be sent to the Migration Agency in Sweden, where the case is processed and a decision is made. You should expect it to take around four weeks for your application to reach the Migration Agency.  

6. You receive the decision

When you come to collect your decision, you must bring your passport.

The permit's period of validity

A visitor's permit is usually valid for no more than six months, or up to one year. This permit is only valid for a visit, and you may not work or take up residence in Sweden.

Don't forget insurance

You will not become a registered resident of Sweden, and will therefore not be entitled to any social benefits. For this reason, it is important that you have insurance to cover any costs that may arise in the event of illness or an accident.

If the Swedish Migration Agency refuses your application

If the Migration Agency does not grant you a residence permit, you may appeal the decision within three weeks of the day you received it. Information on how to do this can be found in the decision.

Back to how to apply for a visa.