Sweden & Russia Russia

Visit for longer than 90 days

If you wish to visit Sweden for more than 90 days, you need to apply for a residence permit for visiting or, if you have special grounds, for a ‘D-visa’ (national visa).

Read more about residence permit for a visit and D-visas under ‘Basic facts’.

Applying for a residence permit for a visit

You need:

  • The form Application for a visitor’s permit (swe or eng)
  • A passport or some other valid travel document
  • A copy of your passport showing your identity, and of any extensions and/or changes in the passport
  • Copies of your internal Russian passport (page with photograph as well as all additional pages containing an entry)
  • Documents showing that you have adequate means of support during your stay in Sweden
  • A copy of your ticket for the return journey
  • An invitation (swe or eng)
  • Note that additional documents are required for applicants under the age of 18. Check under ‘Minors – extra documents
  • Fee for residence permit for visiting.

You can apply for residence permit for a visit at the Swedish Embassy in Moscow. You have to make an appointment, tel.: +7 495 937 92 01 (during the phone hours). Click here to make an appointment online.


Applying for a D-visa

If you want to visit Sweden for more than 90 days (up to one year) you can apply for a D-visa (national visa).

The applicant must provide information concerning why he/she is in need of a D-Visa. If you don't have special grounds, you should apply for residence permit for visiting.

A foreigner who initially knows that he or she will be staying in Sweden for more than 90 days should primarily apply for a residence permit for visiting. The most common reason for longer stays is family visits and it can rarely be argued that a regular family visit constitutes special reasons.

A D-visa can be granted for multiple entries, and a D-visa gives you the right to move freely within the Schengen area.

The applicant must submit the same set of documents as when applying for a Schengen visa – according to the purpose of the trip – but a different application form is to be filled out.

For D-visas there is no requirement that the travel document was issued less than ten years ago, no requirement that the travel document has more than three months of validity when leaving Sweden/the Schengen area, and there is no requirement to have at least two empty pages in the travel document.

Travel insurance is not obligatory when applying for a D-Visa, but the recommendation of the Embassy is to purchase travel insurance.

All applicants must pay the fee for D-Visa.


Last updated 03 Feb 2020, 2.59 PM