Sweden & Russia Russia

National visa

If you wish to visit Sweden for more than 90 days, you need to apply for a residence permit for visiting or, if you have special grounds, for a ‘D-visa’ (national visa).

Read more about residence permit for a visit and D-visas under ‘Basic facts(opens in a new tab)’.

Applying for a D-visa

The applicant must provide information concerning why he/she is in need of a D-Visa. If you don't have special grounds, you should apply for residence permit for visiting.

A foreigner who initially knows that he or she will be staying in Sweden for more than 90 days should primarily apply for a residence permit for visiting. The most common reason for longer stays is family visits and it can rarely be argued that a regular family visit constitutes special reasons.

A D-visa can be granted for multiple entries, and a D-visa gives you the right to move freely within the Schengen area.

The applicant must submit the same set of documents as when applying for a Schengen visa – according to the purpose of the trip – but a different application form(opens in a new tab) is to be filled out.

For D-visas there is no requirement that the travel document was issued less than ten years ago, no requirement that the travel document has more than three months of validity when leaving Sweden/the Schengen area, and there is no requirement to have at least two empty pages in the travel document.

Travel insurance is not obligatory when applying for a D-Visa, but the recommendation of the Embassy is to purchase travel insurance.

All applicants must pay the fee(opens in a new tab) for D-Visa.