• English

Sweden & Mozambique

Visits longer than 90 days

The Embassy of Sweden in Maputo represents Mozambique, Eswatini and Madagascar for visits longer than 90 days.

If you are planning to visit Sweden temporarily but to stay longer than 90 days, you should apply for a visitor's permit.

An application for a visitor's permit is always sent to the Migration Agency in Sweden, where the decision is made. If the application is granted, a residence permit is usually issued for more than three months and up to twelve months.

In order to be granted a residence permit to visit Sweden, the purpose of the trip must be to visit Sweden and not to settle there. You must have the means to support yourself throughout your stay, and you must possess either a return ticket or enough money to buy one. Medical travel insurance is not compulsory, but it is advisable since medical costs can be high.

How to apply online

Applications for visitor's permits are handed in digitally. This applies only to persons that are outside Sweden and will make your application at the Embassy of Sweden in Maputo (applicants residing in Mozambique, Eswatini and Madagascar). Apply and pay the application fee by using this e-service.

When you conclude your application in the e-service, you will be directed to a page where you book an appointment for a physical visit at the Embassy of Sweden in Maputo. During this visit you will show your passport and conclude your application with an interview. You will also give your fingerprints and have your photo taken.

If you need an interpreter

Applicants legally residing in Mozambique, Eswatini and Madagascar can also apply digitally. If you cannot communicate in English, Swedish or Portuguese and need a translator for the interview, it is important that you send a separate email to migration.maputo@gov.se directly after you book the interview online. In the e-mail, state your personal details and in what language you need an interpreter.

In what instances can a National Visa (D Visa) be issued?

A national visa (D-visa) is only issued in exceptional cases. According to the law, special circumstances must apply in your case. A family visit is not considered special circumstances, or that the processing time for a visitor's permit might be longer. The fact that you have previously been granted a D-visa does not automatically mean that you can get a new one.

In order to apply you need:

  • The application form (available in English only)
  • All documents required to apply for a visitor's permit. 

The Embassy reserves the right to ask for further documentation if needed.

The decision is made at the Embassy. You cannot appeal against the decision if it is refused. 

Last updated 15 Feb 2024, 8.49 AM