• English

Sweden & Macau

Working in Sweden

In order to work in Sweden, you must have a work permit. According to Swedish Law, your work permit application should be finalised before entering Sweden.

Appling for a work permit

You can apply online for a work permit or for a residence permit as a self-employed person or a visiting researcher at the Migration Agency’s website.

When applying online you are given clear instructions about how to fill in your application and what you should send with the application. This makes it easier for you to send in a complete application and increases your chances of a quick decision.

If you apply for a residence permit for highly qualified persons to look for work or start a business, we recommend that you apply directly through the Migration Agency's website. You can also submit the form and attached documents at the Embassy of Sweden in Beijing or at the Consulate-General of Sweden in Shanghai. For more information regarding this permit, please visit the Migration Agency's website.

To find out which rules apply, which documents are required and how you apply, check the Migration Agency’s website.

Note that only documents in English are accepted, any documents in other languages should be translated into English by an authorised translator. Any copies of marriage or birth certificate from your home country submitted with the application should be notarised.  

Applicants below the age of 18 must have one of their legal guardians accompanying them when visiting a Swedish Mission Abroad. If the legal guardians are unable to accompany the applicant, one of them should write a power of attorney allowing someone above the age of 18 to accompany the applicant to a Swedish Mission Abroad.

If you apply for residence permit at a Swedish Mission in the People's Republic of China you need to pay the application fee in CNY Renminbi by bank or credit card when you submit the application. 

Receiving the decision 

If you have applied online, you will receive an email confirming that a decision has been made. 

If you have applied at a passport agency, you need to check for the decision at the Swedish Migration Agency website with the control number written on the receipt issued by the Swedish Mission.

Recording your biometrics

If you have been granted a residence permit, you will need to record your biometrics at the Embassy of Sweden in Beijing or the Consulate-General of Sweden in Shanghai. Note that there is no need to make an appointment, you can visit during the Visa Section's opening hours.

You have the option of leaving your biometrics at the Embassy of Sweden in Beijing or the Consulate General in Shanghai before a decision has been made in your case. 

Collect your residence permit card

When you have been granted a residence permit and recorded the biometrics, a residence permit card will be produced for you and be sent from Sweden to the Swedish Embassy or Consulate-General. This will normally take 2-3 weeks.

Click here for more information:


Last updated 18 Oct 2023, 2.38 PM