• English

Sweden & Latvia

Working in Sweden

As an EU citizen you have the right to work, study or live in Sweden without a residence permit. You also have the right to start and operate a private business. If you are a citizen of a country outside the EU and wish to work in Sweden, in most cases you need a work permit.

Please, visit the Swedish Migration Agency for further information. The Swedish Migration Board website provides information about what is required to obtain a work permit, as well as the possibility of completing an online application for the majority of matters.

In most cases, anyone applying for a permit online to work in Sweden will not need to visit a Swedish embassy. If it turns out you need to visit a Swedish embassy you should turn to one of these, if you are lawfully residing in the Schengen area:

The Swedish Embassy in Athens

The Swedish Embassy in Berlin

The Swedish Embassy in Madrid

The Swedish Embassy in Paris

The Swedish Embassy in Rome

The Swedish Embassy in Riga does not not accept applications or handle migration cases.