Sweden & Italy

Apply for a visitor’s permit

If you want to visit Sweden for more than 90 days, you need to apply for a visitor’s permit.

If you already have an ongoing application for residence permit in Sweden, check the Swedish Migration Agency’s recommendations before you decide to apply for a visitor's permit.

Apply online

Applications for visitor's permits are handed in digitally though the Migration Agency website.

For information regarding required documentation when applying, visit the Swedish Migration Agency's website.

Most people must pay a fee when applying for a Visitor's permit. Information about fees can be found on the Swedish Migration Agency’s website. The application fee is to be paid by using the e-service.

When you conclude the application in the e-service, you will be directed to a page where you book an appointment for a personal visit at a Swedish Embassy. If you are resident within the Schengen area you can choose from the Embassy of Sweden in Rome, Athens, Berlin, Madrid or Paris.

During your visit at the Embassy:

  • The Embassy will examinate your Passport/travel document (list of recognized passport and travel documents on the European Council's website)
  • Your Italian residence permit, or residence permit in another Schengen country, must be shown (or the receipt of ongoing renewal of that permit).
  • In some cases, the Migration Agency in Sweden require that the Embassy perform an interview with the applicant. 
  • If your Italian residence permit (or residence permit in another Schengen country) is under renewal, and you therefor will need a Visa to enter Sweden, during your visit at the Embassy, you will also leave biometrics (fingerprints and photo).

Who decides my case?

The Migration Agency in Sweden will take the decision in your case.

How long does it take to get a decision?

You can check the handling times on the Swedish Migration Agency’s website.

If your application is denied?

If you are not granted the permit, you have the possibility to appeal against the decision. Instructions on how to appeal are found in the decision. Information on the Swedish Migration Agency’s website.

If you are granted the permit?

If you have been granted a visitor’s permit, you will receive a residence permit card.

If you need your Swedish residence permit card to enter Sweden, and you therefore already had your biometrics registered during your personal visit at the Embassy, the card will automatically be delivered to the Embassy. You will be informed when the card is ready to be collected. It is also possible to ask the Embassy to send the residence permit card to be collected at one of the Swedish Consulate in Italy. 

If you haven’t had your fingerprints and photograph registered yet, but you can enter Sweden without a visa (e.g. you have a valid residence permit in Italy), you can book an appointment with the Swedish Migration Agency.

More information about residence permit cards.