Sweden & Iran

Medical travel insurance

Visa applicants are required to have medical travel insurance. It must cover any costs that may be incurred in connection with emergency medical aid, urgent hospital treatment or transport to the country of origin for medical reasons or in the event of death.

The insurance has to cover costs totalling at least EUR 30 000 and has to be valid in all Schengen countries and throughout your stay.

When applying, you must prove that you have a medical travel insurance. You should also bring your insurance certificate with you during the trip since you may need to present it, e.g. at an entry checkpoint.

To view the list of accepted travel and medical insurance companies , please click here.


Certain occupational groups may be exempt from the insurance requirement due to them already being similarly insured in connection with their work.

Others exempted from the medical insurance requirement are those who:

  • hold a diplomatic passport
  • apply for an airport transit visa
  • are relatives of an EU citizen (other than Swedish), i.e. his/her
    • husband or wife
    • registered partner 
    • common law spouse
    • children under 21 years of age
    • older children who are financially dependent on their parents
    • parents who are financially dependent on their children in Sweden