• English

Sweden & Hong Kong

Studying in Sweden

If you are planning to study in Sweden, the website StudyinSweden.se is your one-stop information centre for higher education studies in Sweden. The purpose is to provide international students wishing to study in Sweden with a convenient and comprehensive information resource. The website contains general information on the opportunities open to international students, admission procedures and other practical details.

The service is designed for students at all levels. It provides information on undergraduate courses, master programmes and opportunities for researchers. 

Applying for a residence permit to study in Sweden

If you are going to study in Sweden for longer than three months, you must have a residence permit. If you will be studying for less than three months, you may need a visa instead.

To acquire a residence permit to study in Sweden, you must generally fulfil the following criteria: have been admitted to full-time studies in Sweden, have the means to support yourself financially, and have a passport. According to Swedish Law your residence permit application should be finalised before entering Sweden. When applying online you are given clear instructions about how to fill in your application and what you should send with the application. This makes it easier for you to send in a complete application and increases your chances of a quick decision. You can find all the information you need at the Swedish Migration Agency’s website.

If you are going to visit Sweden for studies or research for up to 1 year, and will not be enrolled at a Swedish educational institute, you can apply for a visitor's permit for studies or research (exchange doctoral student).

If you are not able to apply online, you can submit the application documents in original at either the Swedish Embassy in Beijing or the Swedish Consulate-General in Shanghai.

Click here for more information:

To find out which rules apply, which documents are required and how to apply, check the website of the Swedish Migration Agency.

Note that only documents in English are accepted. All other documents should be translated into English by an authorised translator. Any copies of marriage or birth certificate from your home country submitted with the application should be notarised. 

Applicants under the age of 18 must have one of their legal guardians accompanying them when visiting a Swedish Mission Abroad. If the legal guardians are unable to accompany the applicant, one of them should write a power of attorney allowing someone above the age of 18 to accompany the applicant to a Swedish Mission Abroad.

If you apply for residence permit at a Swedish Mission in the People's Republic of China you need to pay the application fee in CNY Renminbi by bank or credit card when you submit the application. 

Receiving the decision 

If you have applied online, you will receive an email confirming that a decision has been made. 

If you have applied at a passport agency, you need to check for the decision at the Swedish Migration Agency website with the control number written on the receipt issued by the Swedish Mission.

Recording your biometrics

If you have been granted a residence permit, you will need to record your biometrics at the Embassy of Sweden in Beijing or the Consulate-General of Sweden in Shanghai. Note that there is no need to make an appointment, you can visit during the Visa Section's opening hours.

You have the option of leaving your biometrics at the Embassy of Sweden in Beijing or the Consulate General in Shanghai before a decision has been made in your case. 

Collect your residence permit card

When you have been granted a residence permit and recorded your biometrics, a residence permit card will be produced for you and be sent from Sweden to the Swedish Embassy or Consulate-General. This will normally take 2-3 weeks.

Click here for more information:

Basic information about: Studying in Sweden

Basic information applicable to all countries is available here. In some countries, additional conditions also apply – for more information, select a country from the 'Select Country Here' drop-down list.

Read more