Sweden & China

Medical travel insurance

Visa applicants are required to have medical travel insurance. It must cover any costs that may be incurred in connection with emergency medical aid, urgent hospital treatment or transport to the country of origin for medical reasons or in the event of death.

The insurance must cover costs totalling at least EUR 30 000 and be valid in all Schengen countries throughout your stay.

In your application, you must provide proof of you medical travel insurance. You should also take your insurance certificate with you during the trip as you might need to show it, e.g. at an entry checkpoint.


Certain occupational groups may be exempt from the insurance requirement due to their already being similarly insured in connection with their work.

Others exempted from the medical insurance requirement are those who:

  • Possess a diplomatic passport
  • Are relatives of non-Swedish EU citizens, i.e. their:
    – husband or wife
    – registered partner
    – common law spouse
    – children under 21 years of age
    – older children who are financially dependent on their parents
    – parents who are financially dependent on their children in Sweden.