Travel to USA

Regain Swedish Citizenship

If you lost your Swedish citizenship as a result of becoming a citizen of another country prior to July 1, 2001, you as of April 1, 2015 may regain it by submitting a request to the Swedish Migration Agency.

This applicable to you if you: 

  • lost your Swedish citizenship as a result of applying for, or agreeing to become a citizen of another country,
  • or as a child, under the age of 18, automatically became a citizen of another country as a result of your parents becoming citizens of that country,
  • or lost your Swedish citizenship as a result of going into public service for another country.

If the notification concerns a child under the age of 18, the parents/legal guardians must sign the notification form. If you have sole custody of your child, your signature is enough.

Children age 12 and older must co-sign the form. Exceptions can be made if a child cannot give consent due to a permanent mental disorder or a similar circumstance.


Complete the notification form (in Swedish only):

Notification of Swedish citizenship for persons who lost their Swedish citizenship due to the acquisition of foreign citizenship (Anmälan om svenskt medborgarskap för person som förlorat sitt svenska medborgarskap för att han eller hon blivit medborgare i ett annat land), no. 320011.

Send the form and supporting documents directly to:

601 70 Norrköping

You need to include notarized copies of valid photo ID (e.g. a US passport), proof of acquisition of foreign citizenship (e.g. U.S. Certificate of Naturalization/Citizenship), and proof of your previous Swedish citizenship (e.g. old Swedish passport or citizenship certificate – “medborgarskapsbevis”). All necessary supporting documents are also listed on the form.


The fee is 475 SEK and is to be paid directly to the Migration Agency. You cannot submit payment to any embassy or consulate abroad. Contact your bank to make arrangements for payment to (this information is also included on the form):

IBAN: SE59 1200 0000 0128 1010 6894
Do not forget to put your name in the message box!

After a decision has been made

The Migration Agency will send the decision to your home address. If you would like to apply for a Swedish passport you will find information under Passports.

> More information regarding regaining Swedish citizenship is available on the Migration Agency’s website:

Last updated 23 Feb 2018, 4.36 PM