About abroad USA

Emergency Passport in the U.S.

If you lost your passport and you need to travel very urgently, you may apply for an emergency passport.

An emergency passport issued by an embassy/consulate has limited validity and is non-machine readable. It is issued in an A4-size format, and is only valid for a single trip. Under certain circumstances the passport may be issued for a round trip. Your e-ticket or booking reference must be presented when you apply for the passport.

Certain countries do not accept a Swedish emergency passport so make sure to contact your travel destination's embassy/consulate to find out. Some countries also require that a passport has a certain validity for entry. Maximum validity for an emergency passport is 7 months.

In the U.S., you may apply for an emergency passport at the following locations:

  • The Embassy in Washington DC
  • The Consulate General in New York
  • The Honorary Consulate in Atlanta
  • The Honorary Consulate in Boston
  • The Honorary Consulate in Chicago
  • The Honorary Consulate in Dallas
  • The Honorary Consulate in Ft. Lauderdale
  • The Honorary Consulate in Houston
  • The Honorary Consulate in Las Vegas
  • The Honorary Consulate in Los Angeles
  • The Honorary Consulate in Minneapolis
  • The Honorary Consulate in Raleigh
  • The Honorary Consulate in San Francisco
  • The Honorary Consulate in Seattle

Contact the consulate directly to confirm opening hours and for instructions. Contact information for each location may be found further down on.

The following applies when applying for an emergency passport:

  • In person appointment.
  • When applying at the Embassy in Washington DC or the Consulate General in New York, that have biometric stations, no application form or photo is needed, as the application procedure is the same as for a regular passport (with the exception of fingerprint).
  • When applying at a Honorary Consulate, an application form will need to be filled out (form is available at the Consulate) and 2 passport photos are needed (not older than 6 months).
  • Police report stating that the passport is lost or stolen (not necessary is loss occurred in NYC).
  • Valid photo ID.
  • If the Embassy or Consulate so requires: extract of the population register from Sweden (personbevis) not older than 1 month.
  • For persons under the age of 18, the consent of all guardians is required.
  • Pay the fee of USD 200 by credit card (Visa or Mastercard), or exact cash payment. Please check with the Consulate ahead of the visit. List of service fees.
  • Regular passports are always cancelled when issuing a temporary passport.