Sverige & Pakistan

Frequently asked question - migration

Below you will find the most frequently asked questions and answers related to Swedish migration matters. This information is updated frequently and identical to what you receive when contacting the Embassy directly. 


A. How do I apply for a short term (less than 90 days) visa to visit Sweden?  For information on Schengen visas and processing times kindly visit the website of VFS Gerry’s.

B. What are the requirements for visitor’s permit (visit for longer stay than 90 days)? For information on visitor’s permit visit the Swedish Migration Agency’s website. The application is submitted in person and on appointment at the Embassy of Sweden in Islamabad. The case is thereafter handled by the Swedish Migration Agency. 

C. What are the requirements for a national visa/ D-visa? Please note that national/D visas are granted on an strictly exemptional basis only. Applicants are therefore strongly advised to contact the Embassy before considering an application. National visa/D-visa are not handled by VFS Gerry’s. For more information on D-visa kindly visit the Swedish Migration Agency’s website.


A. How do I apply for a residence/work permit?  The fastest and most convenient way to apply for a residence permit is to apply online at the Swedish Migration Agency's website. You can find all information on residence permits, how to apply and waiting times at the Swedish Migration Agency's Website. 

B. What is my case/control number? If and when you applied for a residence or work permit online, an e-mail was sent to you and/or the referent/employer in Sweden. This e-mail contains your control number. If you have not received an e-mail with this control number, kindly contact the referent/employer in Sweden that submitted your application.

If you applied in person at the Embassy but haven’t received information containing your control number from the Migration Agency, please contact the Embassy. 

C. Can I visit the Embassy for biometrics? How do I submit biometrics? If you apply online, you will at a later stage be instructed by the Migration Agency to contact the Embassy for an appointment for interview and/or biometrics. Please bring your passport.

If you apply in person at the Embassy your biometrics will be taken at the same time. 

D. How do I know that my application has been registered at the Swedish Migration Agency? Use the “Check your application” service on this link: Check your application .

E. What is the status of my application? Check the status here: Check your application can be used for residence permit, work permit, study permit or visa.

You can also check the status of your Schengen visa at VFS Gerry’s website and Track your application.  

Residence and work permits are processed by the Swedish Migration Agency. If you have questions regarding a submitted application, you find their contact information here: Click here

F. If I am registered in Sweden, where will my card be dispatched? If you are registered with the Tax Office (Skatteverket) in Sweden and submit your biometrics before a decision in your application is made, your residence permit card will always be sent to your Swedish address. If you submit your biometrics after the decision was made, you can choose whether the card should be sent to your Swedish address or an address abroad.  Please note that a card that is sent to a Swedish address is the responsibility of the applicant and the applicant her/himself has to arrange for the card to be dispatched from Sweden to another address.  

G. I received an email from the Migration Agency that my case is settled and I have to book an appointment with a Swedish Mission. Do I have to? Yes, you need to make an appointment to submit your biometrics.

H. When will I get my residence permit card? If biometrics has been taken and the decision has been finally granted, the residence permit card is normally available 3 – 4 weeks later. It will be dispatched to your chosen Gerry’s office. The embassy will contact you if you haven’t informed us in advance. This applies for both Pakistani and Afghan citizens. There is a Gerry’s service charge Rs.1000. Cards cannot be collected directly at the embassies in Islamabad and Kabul.  

I. How can i receive a copy of my decision from Migration Agency? it is recommended for all residence/work permit applicants to issue a power of attorney to their referent/sponsor so that they  may receive decision on your behalf. If not; send an email to  and book a time to receive your decision at the Embassy. The Embassy cannot give out the reason of the decision via email or phone. Detailed copy of  deceision is not delivered electronically via email unless there are some specefic circumstances.


Senast uppdaterad 22 jul 2018, 18.10