Sweden & Pakistan

Frequently Asked Questions - Migration

Below you will find the most frequently asked questions and answers related to Swedish migration matters. This information is updated frequently and identical to what you receive when contacting the Embassy directly.


How do I apply for a short term (less than 90 days) visa to visit Sweden? 

For information on Schengen visas and processing times kindly visit the website of VFS Gerry’s. (Please note specific regulations in regards to Covid-19 above.)

What are the requirements for visitor’s permit (visit for longer stay than 90 days)?

For information on visitor’s permit visit the Swedish Migration Agency’s website. The application is submitted in person and on appointment at the Embassy of Sweden in Islamabad. The case is thereafter handled by the Swedish Migration Agency. 

What are the requirements for a national visa/D-visa?

Please note that national/D visas are granted on a strictly exemptional basis only. Applicants are therefore strongly advised to contact the Embassy before considering an application. National visa/D-visa are not handled by VFS Gerry’s. You will find the application form at the Migration Agency's Website.

What is the status of my application?

You can check the status of your Schengen visa at VFS Gerry’s website and Track your application.  

Check your application can be used for a visitor’s residence permit.


How do I apply for a residence/work permit?

The fastest and most convenient way to apply for a residence permit is to apply online at the Swedish Migration Agency website. You can find all information on residence permits, how to apply and waiting times at the Swedish Migration Agency´s website.

Can I apply for residence permit at the embassy?

The Swedish Migration Agency and Embassy of Sweden Islamabad encourages applicants to lodge applications online via the Swedish Migration Agency’s official website. Further details can be found by visiting following website: https://www.migrationsverket.se/English/Private-individuals.html

What is my case/control number?

When you applied for a residence or work permit online, an e-mail was sent to you and/or the referent/employer in Sweden. This e-mail contains your control number. If you have not received an e-mail with this control number, kindly contact the referent/employer in Sweden that submitted your application.

If you applied in person at the Embassy but haven’t received information containing your control number from the Migration Agency, please contact the Embassy on ambassaden.islamabad-visum@gov.se.

What is the processing time of residence permit applications?

These applications are processed at Swedish Migration Agency. Procedure and waiting time can be found on the official website of Swedish Migration Agency

How do I book an appointment for an interview at the Embassy?

If you apply online, you will at a later stage be instructed by the Migration Agency to contact the Embassy for an appointment for interview and/or biometrics. You need an appointment before your visit. 

How do I know that my application has been registered at the Swedish Migration Agency?

Follow the link: Check your application .

What is the status of my application?

Follow the link: Check your application


I received an email from the Migration Agency that my case is settled and I have to book an appointment with a Swedish Mission. Do I have to?

Yes, you need to make an appointment to submit your biometrics. 

When will I get my residence permit card?

See information about the cards here

How do I get a copy of my residence/work permit decision?

See information about decisions here

If I have a registered address in Sweden, where will my card be dispatched?

If you are registered with the Tax Office (Skatteverket) in Sweden and submit your biometrics before a decision in your application is made, your residence permit card will always be sent to your Swedish address. If you submit your biometrics after the decision was made, you can choose whether the card should be sent to your Swedish address or to an embassy abroad. Please note that a card that is sent to a Swedish address is the responsibility of the applicant and the applicant her/himself must arrange for the card to be dispatched from Sweden to another address.