Service for Swedes in the United States

Do you need to apply for/renew a Swedish passport? Do you have questions regarding Swedish citizenship, or would like to register your newborn baby? For more information, choose your topic in the menu below.

In case of an emergency, you can reach us via email or phone (see contact details below). Information about emergency assistance can be found on the Swedish version of this website.

If you wish to apply for/renew a Swedish passport, please contact the Swedish Embassy in Washington DC, or the Consulate General of Sweden in New York.

There are also a number of Swedish honorary consulates in the United States.  Here,  you can pick up a passport or driver license, turn in your application to register your child and, in some instances, apply for an emergency passport.

Please note that all questions regarding visas and/or immigration to Sweden is handled by the Swedish Embassy in Washington DC. The Consulate General does not handle visas or immigration matters.

Contact the Consulate General in New York via e-mail or phone:


Phone: (212) 583-2560

Our regular phone hours are as follows (temporary changes may apply):
Monday, Tuesday and Thursday: 9am-10am
Wednesday: 2pm-4pm
Friday: 9am-11am

Schedule an appointment to visit us

All visits to the Consulate General in New York are by appointment only. If you wish to apply for/renew a passport, you book a time for passport application ("svenskt pass/id-handling"). For all other business, you make a general appointment ("expeditionstid").

The link to our booking system can be found under each item in the menu below.

Dernière mise à jour 16 juin 2019, 20.17