• English

Sweden & Zambia

Visiting for longer than 90 days

If you are planning to visit Sweden temporarily but to stay longer than 90 days, you should apply for a visitor's permit.

An application for a visitor's permit is always sent to the Migration Agency in Sweden, where the decision is made. If the application is granted, a residence permit is usually issued for more than three months and up to twelve months.


In order to be granted a residence permit to visit Sweden, the purpose of the trip must be to visit Sweden and not to settle there. You must have the means to support yourself throughout your stay, and you must have either a return ticket or enough money to buy one. A medical travel insurance is compulsory.


Apply online

Applications for visitor's permits are handed in digitally. This applies only to persons that are outside Sweden and that will submit an application at the Embassy of Sweden in Lusaka (applicants residing in Zambia and Malawi). Apply and pay the application fee by using this e-service.  


When you conclude your application in the e-service, you will be directed to a page where you book an appointment for a physical visit at the Embassy of Sweden in Lusaka. During this visit you will show your passport and conclude your application with an interview. You will also give your fingerprints and have your photo taken.

Last updated 06 Feb 2024, 1.16 PM