- I would like to apply for a residence permit
The best way is to submit an online application. An online application goes directly to the Swedish Migration Agency. You can visit Migration Agency's website to apply online.
If you are unable to submit an online application, you can apply at an Embassy or Consulate. For information on how to submit application by paper, please visit How to apply.
- I would like to schedule an appointment time for an interview
If you have submitted an application for a residence permit, you can schedule an appointment when the Swedish Migration Agency requested you to do so. Appointments are only given through the website for the Consulate General in Istanbul.
- Am I entitled to priority from the Consulate General?
No, you are not entitled to priority from the Consulate General. When you schedule an appointment you will be given the first available appointment.
- I have an appointment with you, but I would like you to transfer my case to another Embassy?
If it relates to an online application, you should contact the Embassy/Consulate where you want your interview to take place. When they confirm that you have been scheduled an appointment time with them, they will arrange for your case to be transferred there.
- Status of the case/progress
If you have applied online, your application will first be processed with the Swedish Migration Agency in Sweden. When you receive communication on scheduling an appointment for an interview, you should contact the Embassy or Consulate you have stated in the application. When the interview has been done, the case will be transferred to the Swedish Migration Agency again for them to make a decision. The waiting times are long, as there are many applicants for permits.
- I have received a residence permit and would like to have a residence permit card – leave fingerprints and take a photograph – how do I proceed?
You may visit the Consulate General in Istanbul on Mondays, Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays between 09.00 and 10.00 a.m. with your passport without an appointment.
- Has my residence permit card (UT card) arrived at the Consulate General?
If you have provided biometrics, it takes approximately four (4) weeks from the decision to produce and deliver the UT card to the Consulate General. You will receive an automatic e-mail if you have a registered e-mail address when the card has arrived.
- I would like to collect my residence permit card from another Embassy or Consulate.
You should normally collect your residence permit card from the Embassy or Consulate where you choose as contact mission abroad in your online application or where you apply by paper. If you are unable to collect it there you can send an e-mail to the Embassy/Consulate and request them to send the UT card to another Embassy or to the Swedish Migration Agency in Sweden where someone who has a power of attorney can collect it.
- I would like to apply/have applied for a residence permit and would like to have my interview at an Embassy in another country.
The Consulate General of Sweden in Istanbul will receive applications and process cases from persons who permanently an legally resides in Turkey, Syria and/or Azerbaijan.
• If you are residing in Azerbaijan you should submit your application online or at the Consulate General in Istanbul. The Embassy of Sweden in Baku does not receive applications for residence permit.
•If you are a citizen of Iraq you should visit the Embassy of Sweden in Amman or Tehran.
•If you are a citizen of Syria you should visit the Embassy of Sweden in Amman, Abu Dhabi, Cairo, Khartoum or Riyadh, or the Consulate General of Sweden in Istanbul.
- I would like to visit Sweden and apply for a visa – how should I proceed?
The quickest and easiest way is to apply for a visa at the Swedish Visa Application Centre, which is run by VFS Global. This means that you, in most of the cases, do not have to visit the Consulate General in person.