Sweden & Serbia

How to apply

Most people applying for a work permit should use the Swedish Migration Agency website and apply online. If you are applying online and do not need a visa to enter Sweden, you do not normally have to visit the embassy. Regardless of how you apply, your work permit must have been granted before you leave for Sweden.

1. Prepare your documentation

Check which documents and personal data you need. The Swedish Migration Agency gives priority to applications that are completed in full, and you get a decision sooner.

Read more under Required documents and on the  Swedish Migration Agency website.

2. Applying

Follow the Swedish Migration Agency’s instructions. You attach documents electronically and pay the application fee using a VISA card or a MasterCard. Family members use the same online application if they apply at the same time as you.

The online application goes directly to the Swedish Migration Agency  for processing and a decision.

N.B. If you have travelled to Sweden to meet an employer and have been offered a job, in certain cases you can apply for a work permit from within Sweden. There must be a shortage of labour within the profession and the employer will find it difficult to run their business if you do not start work immediately. You must apply for and have been granted a work permit before starting work in Sweden. The rules and the list of professions with a labour shortage can be found on the Migration Agency´s homepage, in English and Swedish.

3. Waiting for a decision

When the Swedish Migration Agency has reached its decision, you or the person with the power of attorney will be informed of this by email. Your employer or contractor shall also be informed of the decision by mail. The actual decision you get if you contact the Swedish Embassy by telephone or email

4. Acquiring a residence permit card

If you are granted a permit for more than three months, you will be issued a residence permit card.

If you need a visa to enter Sweden

Visit the embassy to be photographed and fingerprinted for the card. You can do so either while waiting for a decision or after you have been granted a work permit. Bring your valid passport. Book time by phone to visit the embassy.

It can take up to eight weeks for the residence permit card to be prepared and delivered to the embassy. Once the card has arrived there, the embassy will send an email and invite you to book time to pick up your residence permit card at the embassy.

If you do not require a visa to enter Sweden

If you are granted a permit for more than three months and do not need a visa, you travel to Sweden and arrange for the card there. Contact the Swedish Migration Agency for photographing and fingerprinting.

If you cannot or do not want to apply online, you apply on a paper form that you submit to the embassy. Read more in the section Paper applications.