Sweden & Serbia

Moving to someone in Sweden

If you want to move to Sweden to live with a close relative, you need a residence permit. Other rules apply if you or the close relative in Sweden are citizens of an EU/EEA country (other than Sweden). A close relative may for instance be a husband or wife, a common law spouse or a child (a minor).


The quickest and easiest way to apply for a residence permit is to apply online over the Internet. An online application goes directly to the Swedish Migration Agency and is given priority. The handling time varies.

Swedish Migration Agency web application

If you cannot or do not want to apply online, you can submit an application document in person to the Swedish embassy. You need to make an appointment.

New minimum age in the family reunification cases

In order for the Swedish Migration Agency to be able to grant a residence permit to a person who is applying to move to Sweden to reunite with their spouse or cohabiting partner, both the person already living in Sweden and the person applying for a residence permit must be at least 21 years old. Previously, the minimum age was 18 years. The new rules enter into force on 1 December 2023.

The Swedish Parliament has decided to make changes to the Aliens Act regarding the minimum age for the family reunification of spouses and cohabitation partners. The new rules will affect all the permit decisions of the Swedish Migration Agency from 1 December.

People who have an ongoing case with the Swedish Migration Agency will receive a decision based on the new rules. This applies even if they submitted their application before the Parliament decided to make the changes.

In some cases, there may be circumstances that allow a residence permit to be granted to persons under the age of 21. One example of such a circumstance is a common child.

In general, the e-application service will not be available if one member of the couple is under 21 years of age. Instead, they will have the opportunity to submit a paper application, but these application will be granted only exceptionally.

Rules and required documents

Read about the rules, which documents are required and how to apply step by step in the menu on the left.

Updated warning: Avoid people selling services for family reunification

The Swedish Ministry for Foreign Affairs has been informed that there might be individuals falsely representing the Swedish Migration Agency or the Embassy in certain countries. These individuals are claiming that it is possible e.g. through payment, to obtain an earlier appointment for an interview at the Embassy or that the applicants needs to pay an additional fee for booking an interview at a specific Embassy - sometimes even using official letterheads and pretending to be officials. Please note that the Swedish Embassies and Consulates General have nothing to do with any individuals who offer services for payment. All appointments for interviews for family reunification are made through the Embassies and are free of charge.  Please see Swedish Migration Agency webpage for more information.

Please contact the Embassy if you have any information that people are falsely representing Swedish authorities or if you suspect that somebody is trying to sell you services for additional charges (ambassaden.belgrad@gov.se).