Sweden & Russia Russia

How to apply

Most people applying for a work permit should use the Swedish Migration Agency website and apply online.

If you are applying online, are granted a permit and do not need a visa to enter Sweden, you do not normally have to visit the embassy. Regardless of how you apply, your work permit must have been granted before you leave for Sweden.

How to proceed (for applications on paper forms, see further down):

Applying online

1. The employer initiates the application
Your employer in Sweden initiates the work permit application by completing an offer of employment. Your employer needs information about your name, date of birth, citizenship, education, and your email address.

It is important that you have access to the email address you give your employer until you have received a decision regarding your application. The Swedish Migration Agency will use this email address to communicate with you throughout the application period.

2.You receive an email When your employer has completed an offer of employment you will receive an email with information about how to apply for a work permit. In the application you provide information about yourself. If your family is coming with you to Sweden, you apply for permits for them at the same time. You should also check that the information about your employment terms in the offer of employment corresponds with what you and your employer have agreed on.

3. Attach documents The Swedish Migration Agency gives priority to applications that are completed in full, and you get a decision sooner. Read more under ‘Required documents’ and on the Swedish Migration Agency website.

4. Wait for a decision You can control the status of your application by typing in your case number at the Migration Agency's webpage: My page - Migrationsverket

5. Acquiring a residence permit card If you are granted a permit for more than three months, you will be issued with a residence permit card. Bring your passport when collecting the decision.

If you need a visa to enter Sweden Visit the embassy to be photographed and fingerprinted for the residence permit card. You can do so either while waiting for a decision or after you have been granted a residence permit. Bring the passport that you used when applying for a residence permit.

It can take up to four weeks for the residence permit card to be prepared and delivered to the Embassy. It is possible to pick up the card at the Embassy of Sweden in Moscow from 09.00 to 11.00 from Monday to Friday. You must bring your passport with you.

If you do not require a visa to enter Sweden If you are granted a permit for more than three months and do not need a visa, you travel to Sweden and arrange for the card there. Contact the Swedish Migration Agency for photographing and fingerprinting.

Applying on a paper form

If you cannot or do not want to apply online, you apply on a paper form that you submit to the Embassy. 

Embassy of Sweden in Moscow is accepting applications for a residence permit from the citizens of:

• Russian Federation
• Uzbekistan, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Tajikistan, Turkmenistan, Armenia and Belarus
• other countries who are permanently and legally residing in the territory of the Russian Federation.

How to proceed:

1. Prepare the documentation Check which documents and personal data you need. Read more on the Migration Agency  website.

2. Pay the application fee The application fee is to be paid in rubles, at the time of submitting your application.

Read more under ‘Fees’.

3. Present the application at the embassy Bring the completed application form with you, together with all the required documents.

If you want to submit your application in person you can visit the Migration Office at the Embassy of Sweden during our opening hours Monday to Friday 9-11. No prior appointment is required.

The Embassy will forward your documents to the Migration Agency in Sweden.

4. Wait for a decision You control your application by checking on the webpage of The Migration Agency: My page - Migrationsverket. Bring your passport when collecting the decision.

5. Arrange for a residence permit card The routines are the same as when applying for a residence permit through the webpage of The Migration Agency.