Sweden & Russia Russia

Basic facts

In general, to acquire a residence permit to study in Sweden, you must have been admitted to a fulltime course of study, you must have the means to support yourself and you must have a passport. You must arrange for your residence permit before leaving for Sweden.

The rules vary, depending on what kind of studies you wish to pursue. More information on Swedish Migration Agency website.

The university or college may require a fee for the studies, of which a part must be paid in advance. Contact the university or college concerned for further information.

The most important information on higher education in Sweden can be found on  www.studyinsweden.se website

Residence permit card 

If you are granted a residence permit, you will receive a residence permit card. The card proves that you have a residence permit.

Read more under ‘How to apply’ to find out how you arrange for the card.

You find more information about the residence permit card on the Swedish Migration Agency website.

Family members

A family member (e.g. husband/wife and unmarried children under 18) may be granted a residence permit for the same period as the student, on condition that they meet the requirements specified. Family members who are granted a residence permit need a residence permit card (see above).

Read more about residence permits for family members on the Swedish Migration Agency website.