Sweden & Russia Russia

Basic facts

If you wish to move to Sweden to live with a close relative, you need a residence permit. It must be ready before you enter Sweden.

Close relatives are defined as:

  • Anyone who is, or is to become, a husband/wife, registered partner or common-law spouse (cohabitee)
  • Children under 18 and their parents.

Other relatives may only be granted a residence permit in exceptional cases.

It is the Swedish Migration Agency that considers your right to a residence permit. For a full description of what rules apply, please check the Swedish Migration Agency website.

You will be informed of the decision in your case by your relative in Sweden if you have authorized him/her to represent you. Otherwise, you will be informed of the decision by the Swedish embassy/consulate.

Residence permit card

If you are granted a residence permit, you will receive a residence permit card. This card is proof that you have a residence permit. Read more under ‘How to apply’ to find out how you arrange for the card.