Sweden & Russia Russia

Apply for a residence permit

Other rules apply if your close relative in Sweden is a citizen of an EU/EEA country (other than Sweden). A close relative may for instance be a husband or wife, a common law spouse or a child (a minor).

As of 20 July 2016, a temporary act will limit the possibility for close relatives of persons in need of protection with temporary residence permits to immigrate to Sweden.  More detailed information about these regulations is available on the Swedish Migration Agency website.

Moreover, the general rule is that anyone living in Sweden should be able to support themselves and their family members who may be granted residence permits. The maintenance requirement will not apply, under certain conditions, to those who have been granted residence permits in Sweden as persons in need of protection. One important requirement is that close relatives must apply for residence permits within three months of the date on which the person in need of protection was granted a residence permit.


The quickest and easiest way to apply for a residence permit is to apply online over the Internet. An online application goes directly to the Swedish Migration Agency and is given priority. 

Make an online application

If you cannot or do not want to apply online, you can submit an application directly to the Swedish Embassy.

Embassy of Sweden in Moscow is accepting applications for residence permits from the citizens of:

• Russian Federation
• Uzbekistan, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Tajikistan, Turkmenistan, Armenia and Belarus
• other countries who are permanently and legally residing in the territory of the Russian Federation.