• English

Sweden & Palestine

Working in Sweden

You must have been offered a job before you can obtain a work permit. Your work permit must have been granted before you leave for Sweden. If your job is for less than three months, you may also need a visa.

There are several different kinds of work permits, e.g. for artists, au pairs, berry pickers, visiting researchers, athletes and coaches. For details, read the information on the Swedish Migration Agency website. The website also describes what exemptions apply in the case of certain occupational groups working in Sweden for a limited period.

Applying for a work permit
If you are a citizen of a country outside the EU/EEA and wish to work in Sweden, in most cases you need a work permit. All applications for work permits are being handled by the Swedish Migration Agency. The quickest and easiest way to apply for a work permit is to do so online by visiting Swedish Migration Agency website. Applications over the internet go directly to the Swedish Migration Agency and are given priority.

If you are a Palestinian citizen. Please select you are a citizen of STATE OF PALESTINE when submitting your application for residence permit.

Family members
If you obtain a permit to work in Sweden a family member (e.g. husband/wife and unmarried children under 21) may be granted a residence permit for the same period of time. If you receive a permit for at least six months, members of your family can also obtain work permits. Family members who are granted a residence permit need a residence permit card (see above).

Read more about residence permits for family members on the Swedish Migration Agency website.

Citizens of the EU/EEA
As an EU citizen, you are entitled to work in Sweden without a work permit.

Special rules apply if you have a residence permit and long-term resident status in another EU country. Read more about the rules for EU/EEA citizens and long-term residents of an EU country on the Swedish Migration Agency website.

Residence permit card
If you are granted a permit for more than three months, you are issued with a residence permit card. The card is proof that you possess a residence permit. Read more under ‘How to apply’ to find out how you arrange for the card. You can also find more information about the residence permit card on the Migration Agency website.

The web portal Workinginsweden.se provides a step-by-step guide to the Swedish migration process. It is aimed mainly at non-EU/EEA citizens interested in working in Sweden for at least one year. The portal also describes some of the advantages of a work life in Sweden.

EU citizens and non-EU/EEA citizens interested in working in Sweden for less than one year can also find useful information about working and living in Sweden on the portal. For more information please visit Workinginsweden.se.

Last updated 05 Jul 2019, 11.50 AM