• English

Sweden & Palestine

Medical travel insurance

Visa applicants are required to have medical travel insurance. It must cover any costs that may be incurred in connection with emergency medical aid, urgent hospital treatment or transport to the country of origin for medical reasons or in the event of death.

A medical insurance is mandatory when you apply for a Schengen visa (there are only a few exemptions, see below). The medical insurance must be personal and it must clearly state the period within which it is valid. Remember to take your insurance certificate with you during the trip since you may need to show it, e.g. at an entry checkpoint.

The insurance is to cover costs of at least EUR 30.000 and to be valid in all Schengen countries and throughout the stay.

Accepted companies
The following insurance Companies are accepted by the Consulate General of Sweden in Jerusalem (West Bank and Gaza applicants):

  • Ahliea Insurance Group – AIG
  • Al-Takaful Palestinian Insurance Co.
  • Global United Insurance Company
  • Trust International Insurance Company
  • National Insurance Company – NIC
  • Al Mashreq Insurance Company
  • Palestine Insurance Company – PIC
  • Tamkeen Insurance Company

Please contact the Consulate General of Sweden in Jerusalem if:
- Your insurance company refuses to give full refund in case of visa refusal upon presentation of official proof of rejection from the Consulate general of Sweden in Jerusalem.
- Your insurance company refuses to pay for medical expenses incurred in the Schengen area. 

Certain occupational groups may be exempt from the insurance requirement due to their already being similarly insured in connection with their work.

Others exempted from the medical insurance requirement are those who:

  • Possess a diplomatic passport
  • Apply for an airport transit visa
  • Are relatives of an EU citizen (other than Swedish), i.e. his/her
    – husband or wife
    – registered partner
    – common law spouse
    – children under 21 years of age
    – older children who are financially dependent on their parents
    – parents who are financially dependent on their children in Sweden.