• English

Sweden & North Macedonia

How to apply for a work permit

The easiest way to apply for a work permit in Sweden is to hand in an application online at the Swedish Migration Agency's web page. If you are unable to apply online for some reason, you can hand in your application at the Embassy in Skopje. Regardless of how you apply, your work permit must be granted before you can start working in Sweden.

Applying on online

Information about online application can be found at the Swedish Migration Agency’s web page (How to apply for a work permit - Migrationsverket).

Applying at the Embassy

Prepare the documentation

Find information on the Swedish Migration Agency's webpage about what documentation is required in your case. Applications that are handed in with all the required documentation will receive a decision faster.

Book an appointment

Before visiting the Embassy, you need to book an appointment to hand in your application. You book an appointment by filling out this web form. After the Embassy has received your request, we will send you an e-mail with information on when you can come to apply. 

Apply at the Embassy

Bring the completed application form with you, together with all the required documents. You will be required to pay a fee.

When you have handed in your application, the Embassy will send your application with all supporting documents to the Swedish Migration Agency. 

Wait for a decision

The Swedish Migration Agency may ask you to book an appointment at the Embassy for an interview or a passport check. Appointments for interviews are booked via this link (Book an appointment - Sweden Abroad). For passport checks, you can visit the Embassy without an appointment during its opening hours Monday- Thursday 09:00-11:00.

You will be informed by e-mail when the Swedish Migration Agency has taken a decision. You can receive a copy of your decision if you visit the Embassy and identify yourself by passport or ID-card. Your employer or contractor will be informed of the decision by post. If your application is rejected, the Embassy will send a copy of the decision to your home address. You have three weeks to appeal your decision starting from the day you receive your decision.

Residence permit card

If you are granted a permit for more than three months, you will receive a residence permit card. If you do not need a visa to travel to Sweden, you can book an appointment at the Swedish Migration Agency (Book, change or cancel appointments for visits - Migrationsverket) to order a residence permit card (have your fingerprints and photograph taken). 

Last updated 20 Dec 2023, 11.04 AM