• English

Sweden & North Macedonia

Basic facts about work permit in Sweden

To be able to be granted a work permit you need to have an offer of employment. You are in most cases not allowed to start working in Sweden before your work permit has been granted. If you have been offered a job during less than three months, you may also need a visa.

There are several different kinds of work permits, e.g. for artists, au pairs, berry pickers, visiting researchers, athletes and coaches. For details, read the information on the Swedish Migration Agency's website. The website also describes what exemptions apply in the case of certain occupational groups working in Sweden for a limited period.

Swedish Migration Agency's website

Citizens of the EU/EEA

As an EU/EEA citizen, you are entitled to work in Sweden without a work permit.

Special rules apply if you have a residence permit and long-term resident status in another EU country.

Read more about the rules for EU/EEA citizens and long-term residents of an EU country on the Swedish Migration Agency's website.

Swedish Migration Agency's website 

Residence permit card

If you are granted a permit for more than three months, you are issued a residence permit card. The card is proof that you possess a residence permit. On the card it is specified where you are allowed to work and at what profession. Read more under ‘How to apply’ to find out how you arrange for the card.

You can also find more information about the residence permit card at the Swedish Migration Agency's website.

Swedish Migration Agency's website

If you need a visa to travel to Sweden

If you need a visa you must show the residence permit card together with a valid passport when you are traveling to Sweden. That is why you should contact the Embassy in order to take a photograph and fingerprints. This can be done while you are waiting for the decision or after you have received the decision. The residence permit card is produced in Sweden and it can take up to four weeks until it arrives at the Embassy.

If you do not need a visa to travel to Sweden

If your work permit if valid for a longer period than three months and you do not need a visa you can travel to Sweden and arrange for your residence permit card in Sweden. Bring a copy of your decision to show when entering Sweden. As soon as you have arrived in Sweden you should visit the Migration Board to take a photograph and to leave fingerprints. When you residence permit card is ready it will be sent to your address in Sweden.

Family members

If you obtain a permit to work in Sweden a family member (e.g. husband/wife and unmarried children under 21) may be granted a residence permit for the same period of time. If you receive a permit for at least six months, members of your family can also obtain work permits. Family members who are granted a residence permit need a residence permit card (see above).

Read more about residence permits for family members on the Swedish Migration Agency's website.

Swedish Migration Agency's website

Last updated 19 Dec 2017, 4.22 PM