• English

Sweden & North Macedonia


Most people have to pay a fee when applying for a residence permit to move to a close relative in Sweden. The fee will not be refunded if your application is rejected.

Appliction fees for residence permits

Adults: SEK 1 500 (or equivalent in MKD)

Children under 18: SEK 750 SEK (or equivalent in MKD)

How to pay

If you are applying online, you pay with a credit card or a bank card online when you submit the application.

If you are applying on a paper form, you will be requested to make a payment at the bank when handing in your application.


The following persons can apply for a residence permit without having to pay a fee:

  • Husbands, wives, registered partners or common-law spouses (cohabitees) and children under the age of 18 who are applying for a residence permit on the grounds of family ties to a foreign citizen who has received a residence permit as a refugee, as a person in need of protection or due to particularly distressing circumstances. Parents and siblings of children in need of protection and living in Sweden are not covered by the exemptions.
  • Family members of EU/EEA citizens. (Please note that Swedes do not count as EU citizens in this context.)
  • EU/EEA citizens
  • Citizens of Switzerland and their family members
  • Citizens of Japan.
Last updated 11 Jan 2024, 4.34 PM