• English

Sweden & North Macedonia

Basic facts

If you wish to move to Sweden to live with a close relative, you need a residence permit. The permit must have been granted before you enter Sweden. Other rules apply to citizens of an EU/EEA country other than Sweden.

  • Close relatives are defined as:

    • A husband/wife, registered partner, common-law spouse (cohabitee).
    • Children under 18 and their parents.

    Other relatives may only be granted a residence permit in exceptional cases.

    It is the Swedish Migration Agency that processes your application for residence permit and takes a decision about your application. For a full description of what rules apply, please check the Swedish Migration Agency's website.

    Citizens of EU/EEA and their family members

    The following information applies if you wish to move to Sweden to live with a relative if you and/or your relative are citizens of the EU/EEA. It is important to note that Swedish citizens living in Sweden are usually not considered as EU/EEA citizens in this regard.

    • If you are an EU/EEA citizen, you register your right of residence with the Swedish Tax Agency (Skatteverket) in Sweden.
    • If you are an EU/EEA citizen, but your family who is living and supporting you in Sweden is not, you may have to apply for a residence permit at the Swedish Migration Agency (Swedish Migration Agency's website).  
    • If you are not an EU/EEA citizen but your relative is (although not a Swedish citizen), you must apply for a residence card at the Swedish Migration Agency. If you fulfil the requirements, you can apply for the residence card and wait for the decision in Sweden. If you need a visa to travel to Sweden, you can apply for a visa at the Embassy. All the information about this can be found at the Swedish Migration Agency's website.
Last updated 20 Dec 2023, 11.07 AM