Most people applying for a work permit should use the Swedish Migration Agency website and apply online.
If you are applying online, are granted a permit and do not need a visa to enter Sweden, you do not normally have to visit the Embassy. Regardless of how you apply, your work permit must have been granted before you leave for Sweden. Please note that if any od
How to proceed (for applications on paper forms, see further down):
1. Prepare your documentationCheck which documents and personal data you need. The Swedish Migration Agency gives priority to applications that are completed in full, and you get a decision sooner.
Read more under ‘Required documents’ and on the Swedish Migration Board website.
2. ApplyingFollow the Swedish Migration Agency’s instructions. You attach documents electronically and pay the application fee using a VISA card or a MasterCard. Family members use the same online application if they apply at the same time as you.
The online application goes directly to the Swedish Migration Agency for processing and a decision.
3. Waiting for a decisionWhen the Swedish Migration Agency has reached its decision, you will be informed of this by email. The actual decision will be given to you when you visit the embassy. Bring your passport when collecting your decision. Your employer or contractor will be informed of the decision by post.
4. Acquiring a residence permit cardIf you are granted a permit for more than three months, you will be issued with a residence permit card (you must be photographed and fingerprinted for the card).
You should visit the Embassy for biometrics on Tuesdays between 9:00 and 11:00.
If you cannot apply online, you apply on a paper form that you submit to the embassy.
1. Prepare the documentationCheck which documents and personal data you need. The Swedish Migration Agency gives priority to applications that are completed in full, and you get a decision sooner.
Read more under ‘Required documents’ and on the Swedish Migration Agency website.
2. Pay the application feeThe application fee must be paid by credit card at the Embassy or by bank transfer. (Please visit our website for more information).
Read more under ‘Fees’
3. Present an application at the EmbassyBring the completed application form with you, together with all the required documents and a receipt for the fee payment if you have already paid by bank transfer.
You must have an appointment before visiting the Embassy (appointments are provided by emails only).
You can find the Embassy’s address under ‘Contact’ in the menu on the left.
The Embassy sends your documents to the Migration Agency in Sweden.
4. Wait for a decisionThe Swedish Migration Agency informs the Embassy of its decision. Contact the Embassy for information about the decision. At the same time, your employer or contractor will be informed of the decision.
5. Arrange for a residence permit cardIf you are granted a permit for more than three months, you will receive a residence permit card. You can receive your card during the Migration reception on Tuesdays between 09:00 and 11:00 without appointments.