• English

Sweden & Jordan

If you wish to move to Sweden to live with a close relative

If you wish to move to Sweden to live with a close relative, you need a residence permit. It must be ready before you enter Sweden. Other rules apply to citizens of an EU/EEA country other than Sweden.

Close relatives are defined as:

  • Anyone who is, or is to become, a husband/wife, registered partner or common-law spouse (cohabitee)
  • Children under 18 and their parents.

Other relatives may only be granted a residence permit in exceptional cases.

It is the Swedish Migration Agency that considers your right to a residence permit. For a full description of what rules apply, please check the Swedish Migration Agency website. 

You will be informed of the decision in your case by your relative in Sweden, if you have authorised him/her to represent you.

Residence permit card

If you are granted a residence permit, you will receive a residence permit card. This card is proof that you have a residence permit. To find out how you arrange the UT-card, read more under our website How to apply - Sweden Abroad

EU/EEA citizens

Briefly, the following applies if you wish to move to Sweden to live with a relative, if you and/or your relative are citizens of the EU/EEA and if you intend to stay for longer than three months. It is important to note that Swedish citizens are not normally counted as EU citizens in this connection.

  • If you are an EU/EEA citizen, you register your right of residence with the Swedish Migration Agency in Sweden. If your relative is not an EU/EEA citizen, you yourself may need a residence permit, and you apply for one from the Swedish Migration Agency after your arrival.
  • If you are not an EU/EEA citizen but your relative is (although not a Swedish citizen), it may be enough simply to apply for a residence permit card from the Swedish Migration Agency. However, check who is counted as a relative in this connection. If you need a visa, you must have applied for one at the embassy before coming to Sweden.

Read more about the rules for EU/EEA citizens and about who is counted as a family member on the Swedish Migration Agency website.

Swedish Migration Agency website or on our website Family of EU citizens.

Last updated 19 Aug 2020, 2.41 PM