• English

Sweden & Japan

Applying for a visa as temporary visitor

If you want to visit Sweden and you are a citizen of a country outside the EU, you may need to apply for a visa. Make sure to apply online in good time before your visit to Sweden.

Japanese citizens who go to Sweden as temporary visitors such as tourists can stay without a visa for a maximum of 90 days within a 180 day period.

List of countries whose citizens require visas to visit Sweden


The quickest and easiest way to apply for a visa is to apply online. Online applications are given priority, you can pay and make an appointment while applying and your compulsory visit to the embassy will go faster.

Swedish Migration Agency web application

You also get access to the e-service ‘My page for e-visa’, where you can for instance change your appointment or see if your case decision has arrived.

My page for e-visa on the Swedish Migration Agency website

If you cannot or do not want to apply online, you can submit your application documents in person at the Swedish embassy. An appointment is required.

Rules and required documents

Read about the rules, which documents are required and how you apply in the menu on the left.

VIS – A Common Information System for Schengen Visas

Basic information about: Visiting Sweden

Basic information applicable to all countries is available here. In some countries, additional conditions also apply – for more information, select a country from the 'Select Country Here' drop-down list.

Read more